PDA

View Full Version : need window covering suggestions

JenaW
10-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Let me start my saying I HATE CURTAINS.

Ok. Got that off my chest.

Let me also say (as many of you know) I am VERY longwinded. I do not do concise. Sorry. So if you are busy, you can just skip this right now. But if you are bored and in a home-decorating mood, please read on.

We need some help. We bought a new house this summer that has gorgeous wood windows with wood trim. Although we hvae neighbors on both sides, our lot is very wooded, affording us tons of privacy, especially in the back. So for the summer months, we just left those alone. The views are nice, and we like the look of the windows. All of the front windows (incl all bedrooms) have cheapo white plastic blinds. YUCK. Our DR has 2 HUGE - nearly floor to ceiling - windows. We took the blinds down after I got sick of them falling out everytime I tried to lower them at night. (they were not wide enough for the windows and kept falling out of their brackets). But now, the entire street and all of the people across it can see right into our DR and through into the kitchen. We have thought of doing wood plantation shutters. I wish I could upload pics, but my camera is dead. If you click on this link http://tinyurl.com/2xk9cu
and go to page 5 - folkloric charm - that is what our dining room looks like, color-wise. We chose that paint, we already have similar wood trim, a light wood dining table, and black chairs. If I WERE to do curtains (I HATE CURTAINS), what color would you suggest? DO you think wood shutters (hopefully matching the dark wood trim) would work? Does anyone have experience with shutters? If so, where did you get them? Did they come prefinished or did you stain yourself? Did you hang or did someone else install?

The great room is another challenge. It is a HUGE room - I think about 22 x 28 and cathedral ceiling. The back wall has two 8ft windows that are bare. The walls are painted ryegrass - very close to the wooded backyard color - so the walls just blend with the backyard. The front wall looking out to the street is basically all windows. There are 3 side-by-side 8-10ft tall windows and a huge half circle window above that in the cathedral space. During the day I would like them open as much as possible (the front is also heavily treed so we don't get a lot of natural light), but at night, you again can see right in, more so now that the leaves are dropping. Everything is again trimmed in dark cherry wood, and we have all black leather furniture. I thought about doing curtains (agh, that blasted word) in a matching or coordinating color (green, or something else?) in that shimmery dupionni silk on top with a wide black velvet band on the bottom that would puddle on the floor. I have SOME sewing experience. I can sew a straight line. Curtains aren't THAT hard, are they?? I would like shutters in there too, but I think there is too much window (the span across is about 15ft) with no place to open the shutters as the windows are in a small recessed area.

I think for the bedrooms, I will just have to suck it up and do curtains. Maybe a cute sheer (possibly with something embroidered on it) with something heavier over it to close at night, especially duirng the cold winter months. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look? The two younger girls' room has varrying widths of pink, purple, green, and white stripes. Carter and Maddie share a room that is currently still off white, but we are thinking of painintg the room a brick red color and doing C's side with antique fire trucks and M's with pink butterflies. Someday.

Suggestions?

Phew. Sorry this is so long.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

BillK
10-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Sorry I can't be much help decorating-wise - but I can offer my opinion on shutters.

We recently remodeled and used Comfortex Plantation Shutters. http://www.comfortex.com/woodblinds/plantation_shutters/shutters.cfm

Ours are the vinyl covered off-white color (so no staining/painting for us) and we LOVE them. Sooooo much nicer than the old curtains/shade combo. We had a local guy called Blinds & Draperies 4-Less do it and he did a great job - and was the lowest bidder to boot.

Here are a few pics if you'd like to see.

http://btz.smugmug.com/photos/179148215-M.jpg

http://btz.smugmug.com/photos/179144902-M.jpg

http://btz.smugmug.com/photos/179149424-M.jpg

http://btz.smugmug.com/photos/179160921-M.jpg

JenaW
10-29-2007, 09:25 AM
WOW. The remodel looks great! I remember an earlier post while you were in the midst of it, but I don't think I ever saw finished pics. You are from Pgh, right?? Guessing from your avatar. We just left the Steel City for upstate NY. SIGH. The Steelers game wasn't even aired here yesterday :( I had to read updates online. They had infomercials and paid programming on the "football channels" instead becuase the beloved Bills weren't even playing until 4. Go figure. At least we won!!!

Thanks for the shutter plug. I really like the look of them, but we would definitely have to stain since our windows and trim are all wood. Do you leave yours closed all the time and just open the louvers for light?

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

kellyotn
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think you need curtains. We just moved, so we're still in flux, but in our last house we just had wood 2" blinds, they were an oak color. They had a decorative trim on top and looked fine alone. They were usually opened to a part-way. Enough that light came in, but also blocking the view a bit.

Our current house has the same thing with a small curtain-valence on top. I don't care for the color, so it'll likely come down soon.

In our living room, we also have a high, high ceiling. I'm planning on removing the little valances there and adding long, plain, solid curtains with a decorative rod. I think it will balance out the vast height of the wall and cozy it in a bit. The windows are pretty tall and I think the valances look dorky being so high off the ground and so small on such a large space.

There are lots of sites for blinds online, browse around, there are a lot of great options that do not involved curtains.

lovin2shop
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I second the recommendation for wood blinds. Shutters are beautiful imo, but they are so expensive, especially in cherry. Wood blinds should be less (although they are still pricey), and offer a little bit of a lighter feel than shutters.

Also, I would suggest Roman shades. They would probably have to be done custom, but if you are good at sewing, you may be able to do yourself. If you would open and close the shades alot, I would probably opt for the custom so that you have reliable movement. These generally fit inside the window so that you don't obscure the beautiful woodwork and you can choose any fabric.

And, finally, I might check into bamboo shades as they are very versatile with many different decorating styles. I think that these are generally much less expensive and might also be a good "in the mean time" solution if you don't find something perfect. I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I think that you can get them in a wide range of quality/sophistication. HTH!

lovin2shop
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I second the recommendation for wood blinds. Shutters are beautiful imo, but they are so expensive, especially in cherry. Wood blinds should be less (although they are still pricey), and offer a little bit of a lighter feel than shutters.

Also, I would suggest Roman shades. They would probably have to be done custom, but if you are good at sewing, you may be able to do yourself. If you would open and close the shades alot, I would probably opt for the custom so that you have reliable movement. These generally fit inside the window so that you don't obscure the beautiful woodwork and you can choose any fabric.

And, finally, I might check into bamboo shades as they are very versatile with many different decorating styles. I think that these are generally much less expensive and might also be a good "in the mean time" solution if you don't find something perfect. I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I think that you can get them in a wide range of quality/sophistication. HTH!