PDA

View Full Version : Funky Weird Stuff, Halloween Edition: Oujia Boards

Fairy
10-29-2007, 12:22 PM
We've never had this one before. Some true believers think the Oujia board can be a portal to good, evil, or both. Others think Parker Brothers are making a mint. What do you think?

kep
10-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Some doors aren't able to be closed once they are opened. I think they are very real and extremely dangerous.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Luke (April 2003)
And Joseph (December 2006)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/kellip/Pictures/IMG_3229.jpg

kep
10-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Some doors aren't able to be closed once they are opened. I think they are very real and extremely dangerous.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Luke (April 2003)
And Joseph (December 2006)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/kellip/Pictures/IMG_3229.jpg

Fairy
10-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree with you, Kelli. I'm the other vote, there. I had a very scary experience in college. Whether it was real or in my head, I'm not sure, but I was terrified. I don't even like talking about it. Few will be shocked to hear that I'm a true believer in many things, and I see Oujia boards as tools. Not saying they, themselves, are evil, but I definitely think you should know what you're doing before you use one.

I swear, Guys, there really are things I don't believe in. Like Vampires! I don't believe in them!

Fairy
10-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree with you, Kelli. I'm the other vote, there. I had a very scary experience in college. Whether it was real or in my head, I'm not sure, but I was terrified. I don't even like talking about it. Few will be shocked to hear that I'm a true believer in many things, and I see Oujia boards as tools. Not saying they, themselves, are evil, but I definitely think you should know what you're doing before you use one.

I swear, Guys, there really are things I don't believe in. Like Vampires! I don't believe in them!

maestramommy
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I only played with a Ouja board once. We asked "is it gonna rain soon?" It just wandered all over. Never really knew what to think.

maestramommy
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I only played with a Ouja board once. We asked "is it gonna rain soon?" It just wandered all over. Never really knew what to think.

MartiesMom2B
10-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I agree with you guys. I had a scary experience too.

-Sonia
Mommy to the M&M girls

MartiesMom2B
10-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I agree with you guys. I had a scary experience too.

-Sonia
Mommy to the M&M girls

gatorsmom
10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
I have played with them before and I don't think much happened. I don't think that you are going to get an other-worldly response every time, but I really think that when you do, it is nothing but pure evil. No good can come out of a ouija board. In fact, if you REALLY want to know how I feel about it, I don't think any good can ever come out of trying to contact the other side. I do know that some people find great comfort in trying to reach loved ones that way, so I hope I don't offend someone. I just personally think that it's not something we should be playing with.

btw, Fairy, since it's almost Halloween, I'm DYING to know about your scary ouija story. Maybe if you vented about it a little bit here, you'd be able to "give up the ghost" so to speak???

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

gatorsmom
10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
I have played with them before and I don't think much happened. I don't think that you are going to get an other-worldly response every time, but I really think that when you do, it is nothing but pure evil. No good can come out of a ouija board. In fact, if you REALLY want to know how I feel about it, I don't think any good can ever come out of trying to contact the other side. I do know that some people find great comfort in trying to reach loved ones that way, so I hope I don't offend someone. I just personally think that it's not something we should be playing with.

btw, Fairy, since it's almost Halloween, I'm DYING to know about your scary ouija story. Maybe if you vented about it a little bit here, you'd be able to "give up the ghost" so to speak???

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

Fairy
10-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Lisa! How do you feel about people like Lisa Williams (she's the chick on Lifetime, "Lisa Williams: Life Among the Dead")? Do you feel the same way about her ( assume you believe her abilities ), that it's not a good thing, or is that more ok for you? I'm really fascinated by her. Not a big fan of John Edward, and completely now an un-fan of Sylvia Browne. But Lisa? I dig her. Curious your thoughts on her.

As for my Oujia story. Honestly, I don't like to talk about it. I'm very superstitious about it, and I try to not think about it. I was so terrified that I swear it took a year off my life.

::: Takes big breath :::

Basically, some girls on the floor (dorm) were messing around with a board, and there was some "evil" activity on the board, and we were all scared, and I didn't really participate after the first couple minutes. But the board ended up in my room, and the next day, I put my hand on it and asked if anyone was there. I then went peeling out of my room at warp speed. I took the board back to the chick it belonged to, and I've never touched one since. I was just sure this thing was following me for weeks. Real? In my head? Doesn't matter. It was 20 years ago. Thank God.

::: Begin just in case::: Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha‑olam, ha‑gomel lahayavim tovot sheg'malani kol tov. Amen. Mi sheg'malayikh kol tov hu yigmalayikh kol tov. Selah. ::: End just in case :::

Rachels
10-30-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't buy it. I think the unconscious is mighty powerful, and a little board with a plastic thing and some felt feet is inanimate and meaningless until your mind makes you move it.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better." - Maya

julieakc
10-31-2007, 01:12 AM
I didn't vote because I'm not sure which option best matches my thoughts.

I have never "played" with one, but I do believe that some things should not be messed with and this is one of them! I seriously had no idea that you really could buy a Oujia board and in the toy section no less, until I was an adult (probably in college). I was/am highly offended by this since, as previously noted, just feel this is one of those things that should not be messed with.

punkrockmama
10-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Before a particular night back in 99' I used to say "What? I'm supposed to channel the dead with something made by, like, Mattel?" *Pffffftttt*

After said night (and the next few when I still had my little guest), I. Will. Never. Touch. A. Oujia. Board. AGAIN.

Could it have been the dutchie that we passed on the left hand side? Maybe. But I really don't think so. Really.

(no really.)

gatorsmom
10-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Sorry, I didn't answer this yesterday, but Gator was home sick from school so I was pretty busy.

You know, I've never seen either Lisa Williams or John Edwards. First, I'm a big skeptic about people like that. I think there really are people out there with special gifts (I think my grandmother had some of those abilities and I mentioned that in your thread about ghosts), but I think most of those shows are staged and those people are basically just magicians trying to get ratings. And even if they AREN"T magicians, even if they DO have some special sixth sense or ability, I think that stuff doesn't belong on TV. I really think that playing around with contacting the other side or worse- making light of it-is asking for trouble. Yeah, I'm a conservative prude, and I'm only one viewer out of millions, but I don't want to contribute to the ratings of those shows. So I don't watch.

As for your story, I can fill in the blanks with my imagination, and um, yeah, I'd be pretty freaked out too. Especially if you were alone with the board. I think it was pretty daring of you to even ask the board that question. I'm too much of a chicken to have done that.

So, what does the Jewish incantation translate to? I've heard it before and wondered. Even though i'm Christian, Christianity was built on Judaism (heck, Jesus, his family, and all his friends were devout Jews), so I have a TON of respect and love for your religion even though I know very little about it. If you don't mind sharing :).

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005