PDA

View Full Version : DC #2 coming ahead of schedule...

nrp
10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I just had a positive pregnancy test and I am officially freaking out. DD is almost 11 months, and it was definitely NOT the plan to give her a brother or sister right away. I know I will be thrilled and delighted soon, but right now I am in total shock and terrified about how to manage two kids 18 months apart. I am also supposed to start a new job (2.5 days a week) which I was really excited about, and now I am not sure how a new baby will fit in with that.

Please, could some of the BTDT mamas give me some advice?

nrp
10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I just had a positive pregnancy test and I am officially freaking out. DD is almost 11 months, and it was definitely NOT the plan to give her a brother or sister right away. I know I will be thrilled and delighted soon, but right now I am in total shock and terrified about how to manage two kids 18 months apart. I am also supposed to start a new job (2.5 days a week) which I was really excited about, and now I am not sure how a new baby will fit in with that.

Please, could some of the BTDT mamas give me some advice?

buddyleebaby
10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Mine are 15 months apart.

It WILL be OK.
You will love and adore this new baby and not be able to imagine your life without them.
It WILL happen.

There are hard days with two close in age, but really no harder than the hard days with just one. You will adjust and find a way to make it work and be an awesome mommy.

And...it's ok to not be thrilled at the thought right now. Don't feel guilty about it. Give yourself some time.

(Hugs), (Hugs), (Hugs).

buddyleebaby
10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Mine are 15 months apart.

It WILL be OK.
You will love and adore this new baby and not be able to imagine your life without them.
It WILL happen.

There are hard days with two close in age, but really no harder than the hard days with just one. You will adjust and find a way to make it work and be an awesome mommy.

And...it's ok to not be thrilled at the thought right now. Don't feel guilty about it. Give yourself some time.

(Hugs), (Hugs), (Hugs).

scoop22
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
i have had no experience with two so close but my sister and i are 18 months apart. i love it! we had our moments but now we are very close. especially since we are both pregnant.. but i know you will manage. you will be a natural. it might not have been planned but your freaking out may soon pass.

congrats by the way.. i am sure everything will work out!

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/WtLfm4.png

scoop22
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
i have had no experience with two so close but my sister and i are 18 months apart. i love it! we had our moments but now we are very close. especially since we are both pregnant.. but i know you will manage. you will be a natural. it might not have been planned but your freaking out may soon pass.

congrats by the way.. i am sure everything will work out!

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/WtLfm4.png

gatorsmom
10-29-2007, 10:19 PM
My brother and I are 18 months apart in age. My mother was on bedrest for 7 months with my brother and she said she always felt so guilty that she couldn't pick me up and hold me when i needed her since I was so little. Of course, I don't remember that and I don't think it scarred me in anyway. My mom did say that after she had my brother it turned out to be the best thing in the world because we became best friends and played together so well.

You'll see that having the children so close together in age is a benefit more than anything else. If you encourage it, they will play together and keep each other entertained and occupied so you'll get more done with fewer interruptions. Besides, with a smaller gap in between pregnancies, most of your baby stuff won't be obsolete and so you'll spend less. Most of my friend who spaced their children a few years apart have told me that they regret that now- even though it seemed easier at the time- because their children don't play together so they constantly have to have friends over for each of their children to play with. I actually PLANNED to have my kids close in age so that they would all become good friends.

Good luck to you- it's a bit of a challenge in the beginning, but SOOOO worth it in the long run. HTH!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

LarsMal
10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
I totally agree with Alicia! My kiddos are 16 months apart. I was in total shock when I found out I was pg (I was 10 weeks when I found out). Once the shock wore off we tried to think about all of the positives. Now that DD is here, I can't imagine life w/o her. She and DS are so cute together. There are definitely hard moments/hours/days :-) but it is a lot of fun having them so close in age.

Like Alicia said- It WILL be OK!!!!

Congrats!

Jenn98
10-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Mine are 17 months apart, also not "planned." You WILL survive. But I won't lie, it will be challenging at first. But on a happier note, there are some VERY big bonuses to having them so close together. When DD#2 came alond DD#1 couldnt have cared less because she was still so little when her sister was born. They are so close in age that it's easier because they are both into the same things at the same times. And a second one is so much fun. My two DDs are very different personalities and it cracks me up. If given the choice before they were born I would never have chosen to have them as close as they are, but now I am so glad I did because it is just AWESOME. I love it. HARD, but I love it.

And when all else fails, we're right here when you need us!!

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Congratulations. :)

I have 2 close friends with that age range and they really have been ok. :)

Beth

nrp
10-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Thank you all for your support. I am slowly getting used to the idea, and my husband has been great--a little shell-shocked, but great. My dearest friend has two kids 17 months apart, and she made me feel much better. She said her two are best friends and play together all the time, and, like you all said, if I can just get through the first few months, it will be terrific having them so close.

maestramommy
10-30-2007, 11:48 PM
My kids are 20 months apart. I found out I was preggo a week before Dora's first birthday.

You will be fine. Things will be exciting for a while, but it will work out and you'll find yourself not being able to imagine life any other way.