PDA

View Full Version : B-day etiquette question-should we pay for the other parents lunches?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
10-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Her party is from 11am-1pm at mcdonalds. We don't have to pay for the other parents and all the children are being fed,so my only concern is whether or not to feed the parents as well. We can't bring in any outside food so the choices would be strickly mcd's. Since it's at lunchtime should we plan on paying for the parents to eat also or should we just let them fend for themselves?

psophia17
10-30-2007, 01:40 AM
I think you should - they're going to be there as long as the kids are, after all. I'd probably limit their options to the dollar menu, though, and if they wanted something bigger they're on their own, kwim?

gatorruth
10-30-2007, 06:33 AM
DS went to a bday party at Burger King. Only the kids were fed a meal and the parents were offered cake. Many of us bought a drink while we waited for the party fun to end. It wasn't a problem. Most moms and dads really don't like fast food anyway... I brought an apple!

HTH!

egoldber
10-30-2007, 06:35 AM
If its 11-1 I would offer to. I think a lot of parents may prefer not to or decline your offer. (I would probably decline because I don't like McD very much and would have eaten a big snack at 10:30 and be prepared to eat lunch at 1:30) But I personally think its rude to "trap" people at a location for 2 hours over the lunch hour and not offer them food.

Pennylane
10-30-2007, 06:46 AM
I think it would be really nice of you to offer, but I would not expect it. Like a PP said, a drink would be all I would probably want anyway.

Ann

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2007, 06:59 AM
It won't be cheap but you should probably at least offer. I don't think I would take you up on it but if I did I would try to be kind to your wallet. :)

Beth

lisams
10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I would pay for the parent's lunch too. I know that when we have gone to parties during a meal time that there has always been food for everyone.

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Do they happen to have a food platter you could buy of snacks? I was just thinking about the ads at Chik Fil A for their catered party platters. That way you could get some snacks but it may make more sense logistically and financially.

Beth

kristenk
10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
I think paying for the parents meals would be appropriate, but I probably wouldn't take you up on a meal. How about getting some gift certificates and letting those be available for parents' food and/or drink? You could always just give each family a $5 gift book and tell them they're welcome to use it now or for their kiddo later? (Granted, when I said $5 booklets, that would work for me b/c DD doesn't have very big birthday parties. If it would be waaaay too much to do that, just break the books into $1 gift certificates and have them spread out on a table for your guests to take if they're going to purchase something.)

kransden
10-30-2007, 08:32 PM
I offered to buy for everyone. I ordered their food along with the kids. For the late parents, I got a McDonald's card. I loaded it with like $50.00. Then gave it to the parents to buy their food. Afterwards, they gave it back. It was easy. I only needed to use it for less than 20.00, but we eventually spent it anyway.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

C99
10-30-2007, 09:24 PM
I would pay for everyone's meals - kids and parents. As a parent, I'd also take you up on it. I'm a BFing mom and therefore always starving; even though I'm not a huge McD's fan, I would (and have) eat it at a b-day party.

spunkybaby
10-30-2007, 11:37 PM
I think it's nice to offer to pay for the parents' lunch since your party is during lunchtime. I think most people would try not to take advantage of you and would order something cheap. At DD1's birthday party last year (10:30 am to 1 pm), we provided food for all the kids and parents. It just feels more hospitable that way.

Mom to a spunky preschooler (3/04) and a new spunky Christmas baby (12/06)

ctmom
10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
I like the idea of offering to pay for food for the other parents with either a gift card/gift certificates. I personally would appreciate the offer, but decline and buy my own food. I don't go to McDonalds often, but when I go I HAVE TO get a #1 (with a diet coke of course!!)...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03