PDA

View Full Version : DC/NoVA moms please help!

momtojack
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi,

We just found out that we will be moving to the DC area next summer and I am looking for resources. I know the area (lived there for 3 years) but have no idea where to start looking for kid related stuff - daycare, mom's groups, parks, school systems, etc. Right now I am most concerned with finding a great daycare/preschool for DS who will be 3 in July and DC#2 expected in June. We need full-time daycare, DH will work in NoVA and I will work in DC. If anyone has specific suggestions or good online resources, I would be grateful. Also looking for info on good neighborhoods w/ lots of kids, good parks, schools, etc. We want something close to DC and near a Metro stop - right now we are thinking Alexandria, but again I would love suggestions or links. Wow - this got really long, if you got this far, thank you!

Shelly

lablover
10-30-2007, 10:13 AM
You should subscribe to the dc urban mom mailing list. Here is the link: http://dcurbanmom.com/. It's a very active listerve and if you post a question you should get numerous responses. Good luck!

momtojack
10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I just signed up!

MamaKath
10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
If you find the housing in NoVa to expensive, Charles County, MD might work. It is about 30 miles to the Hill (or more, depending on where in the co you live), suburban to rural area, and we found the housing to be a lot cheaper. With the market as it is now though you might find some great deals. I have a web link at home for a DC, Va and MD mom site, I will try to find it and add it. Good luck and welcome to the area!

TonFirst
10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
If you think you might end up in the Burke area of Fairfax County, please PM me - my MIL owns/operates two very good preschools (but while they offer year-round, all day care, they are emphatically not a "day care" - they don't take kids under age 2).

momtojack
10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I know it is ridiculously expensive, but we really want to stay close-in. I may be in the minority, but I am just not a burbs person! I will keep your suggestions in mind, though, in case we decide that we just can't afford to be inside the beltway.

Shelly

MamaMolly
10-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Sending you an email!