PDA

View Full Version : Mommy needing quick and simple make-up routine...

MamaKath
10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
HELP! I am in desperate need of a quick and simple make-up routine. I have no time in the AM so it has to be easy. Between fighting off drowsiness and waking kids it also needs to be pretty idiot proof to apply. I am in my 30s and looking ragged these days from work and kids. Mineral make-up? Other? My face thanks you. ;-)

kristenk
10-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I never, EVER thought I would say this, but I love Mary Kay. I LOVE having someone come to my house and sit with me while I try on makeup. If you buy something and it doesn't work out, you can return it, so it's really in the salesperson's best interest to help you find something that really works for you. I don't really know how MK cosmetics compare quality-wise to anything else, but I really needed application help and just help in deciding what colors/etc. to try and MK definitely works for me. Not that I use it as much as I should... :)

roysmom
10-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Try any of the "mineral makeup". Loreal makes a good one. They come in a loose powder, with a huge brush to apply with. It should cover up most, if not all, blemishes. Invest in a good eyeliner and mascara, and voila. A quick and easy makeup routine. I have utilized this many mornings with DS attached to leg crying. I am in early 30s and it works. Let me say this, it will not look as good as if you spent 15-20 minutes doing your makeup, but it definitely suffices for any meeting or office I have ever been in. And, the eyeliner will just make those eyes pop!

KBecks
10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Not that I'm a beauty guru by any means, but makeup isn't that time consuming

concelaler
mascara
blush
lipstick or lip gloss

add foundation and eye shadow and liner if you are going somewhere important.

tny915
10-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Another vote for mineral makeup. I use Bare Minerals from Bare Essentials. My skin can be horrendous at times, but this stuff evens everything out and camoflauges all the blemishes. It's definitely idiot-proof. I know nothing about makeup. One session with the girls in the Bare Essentials store and I learned all I needed to know to get it done.

I also break up my makeup routine into steps because I found myself always getting interrupted trying to put on makeup at home. I do the mineral makeup at home. Then I take a minute to swipe on a little lipstick and eyeliner in the parking lot once I get to work.

ellies mom
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
I went to the MAC counter at Nordstroms and told them basically the same thing and had them set me up. She picked colors that I never would have thought of and I really like how it turned out. The first few times I applied it, it took a bit longer but once I got it down, it was really quick.

table4three
10-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Can I ask a question about the mineral makeup? Since it is powder, does it rub off onto everything? That's been my hesitation in trying it. If I change my shirt frequently (DD is a spitter) am I going to end up getting makeup on the neckline of my shirt all the time? TIA!

DS - 2
DD - coming this summer!

tny915
10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Keep in mind that I'm far from a makeup maven, but regardless of the type of makeup I've worn, I always had the makeup on the neckline problem, whether it was liquid foundation or pressed powder or mineral makeup. I've learned long ago to just be careful when I change clothes so my face doesn't touch my shirt. I never wear turtlenecks, so never have trouble doing this.

lilycat88
10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
I had been a dedicated Cliique gal since high school and just made the leap into Bare Minerals last week. It's the wonder make-up. A few swishes here and there and it's done. I always managed to look like the face of death by the end of the day with a liquid foundation no matter how much time I spent applying and "setting". As long as I reapply lipstick throughout the day, my "face" looks the same all day. My entire routine...5 minutes. That includes the mineral "foundation", a little concealer work under they eyes, blush, 1 color of eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick.

lovin2shop
10-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I really like the mineral makeup from Philosophy because of the applicator. It is an attached sponge that you just press on to your face like a regular powder. My only complaint about mineral make up in the past is that it is too messy, and this eliminates the mess and is really fast to apply.

I would also recommend a subtle but shimmery blush to brighten up your face. In addition to the cheeks, I usually swipe some just below my brow bone, especially if I don't have time for eyeshadow. Some good options are the Bobbi Brown Shimmer bricks (many color tone options) or Nars Blush in Orgasm (peachy color) for lighter skin or Sin (pinky color) for darker or olive tones.

Do the above, swipe on mascara and lip gloss and you should be good to go. Nars or Stila have very nice lip glosses, or the Mentha Lip tubes from Bath & Body Works are a great low cost option. If you are not a glossy person, Vincent Longo & Lorac have really nice lipsticks. I just find that colors are more forgiving in the glosses than lipsticks, so they are easier to purchase. All of these brands can be found at Sephora. HTH!

MamaKath
11-02-2007, 12:35 PM
So it sounds like the majority like mineral make-up. Best brand? Bare Essentials? Sounds like soon I could actually be looking and feeling human again. :-)

bubbaray
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
I really like the Pur Minerals. It is a pressed powder that you apply with a brush and is less messy than the other 2 brands.

http://www.purminerals.com/index.php?srccode=PPG000069&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=pur%2Bminerals&utm_campaign=Brand&gclid=CO7D0v6Pv48CFQUOYAodQWbvlQ

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Twins2000
11-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I tried Bare Minerals, but found that my face must have been too oily for it b/c after a few hours I would look a little too shiny. A good number of people on the beauty website www.emakemeup.com raved about Everyday Minerals and said that you can get a sample kit for only the cost of shipping (only $3.97). I tried it and loved it! The sample kit includes 3 different shades/formulas of your choice, a blush and a concealer. They have quite a wide selection of shades and formulas. I ended up buying a second sample kit before going ahead and ordering a full sized kit (you don't have to order a kit, but for $28 it included 2 full sized shades, a full sized blush, full sized concealer, full sized finishing powder and a brush (granted, the brushes to choose from are not that great, but it's included). I highly suggest trying it out!

Other makeup I like includes MAC eyeshadows, MAC Powerpoint eyeliner pencils, and MAC lipsticks and glosses.

When I'm running really late I forget the whole routine and just quickly dust on some blush, lipstick (get the attention away from other areas) and if I can spare an extra inch of time, eyeliner on the top lid only and mascara.

Leslie

kristine_elen
11-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I love mineral makeup. I was using Bare Escentuals (available at Ulta and Sephora and other places) but just switched to Jane Iredale mineral make up, which I got at a nearby salon. (You can go to the web site to see a list of places near you.) I had a complimentary make up consultation where she helped me select the right color. I never wore foundation before b/c it felt gross and I'm not really into make up anyway. But the mineral make up is light and feels fine and it takes me only about one minute to do. I only do the powder foundation and maybe some blush and then lip gloss. It does make me feel better.

http://www.janeiredale.com/

lhk777
11-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I've been using MAC's Studio Fix ever since my sister told me about it.
It saves me a ton of time and definitely gives my face a more finished look.

Studio Fix is a powder and foundation in one. It comes in a case like a compact and has the makeup in the top and the bottom opens to store the sponge. I just apply this in the morning with some blush and lipstick and I'm done.

I love this stuff and can't live without it.

Here's a link:

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15107&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1379

MelissaTC
11-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Another vote for mineral makeup. I use BEs. I buy it at Ulta and Sephora. I put the foundation, then the mineral veil. I put on some eyeliner, blush and lip gloss. I always look like I am "finished" but it is definitely natural looking and really only takes 5 minutes.

kozachka
11-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I wanted to love BE but it does not work for my dry/oily skin. Stilla Sport used to have a sponge 'foundation' that just evened my skin out but it has been long discontinued. So I am still looking for a good foundation that does not feel like you wear it IYKWIM. Origins Easy Blend Concealer works well for my under eye area. Having a good night sleep works even better ;).

My makeup of choice (on those days that I actually apply it) is Too Faced, particularly their The Quickie Chronicles. One DVD-size book has 4 lip glosses, 3 eye shadows and a blush. They had F&F sale around end of November if I remember correctly and stocked up on their products in discontinued colors on the cheap. I love that everything coordinates so I do not spend time thinking about what goes with what and use all the products. No waste :). My friends who I introduced to Chronicles love them, too. I've got Starlette which has neutral palette so can be applied without even looking into a mirror. Gotta stop, I am beginning to sound like a commercial.

BeachBum
11-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Lancome has a powder/foundation combo that I like. It is a pressed powder of sorts but has more coverage. You an apply it with the sponge damp for more coverage or dry for more of a powder look.

karolyp
11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm another huge Pur Minerals Fan - love the fact that it's pressed and not so messy too!!

clc053103
11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Another bare escentuals user here. I buy at Ulta and (hanging head in shame) QVC! Sometimes they have some really nice kits!