PDA

View Full Version : Angie's List v Service Magic

niccig
10-30-2007, 09:45 PM
I've had a number of home repairs in the last 2 weeks. I feel I need a better way of finding contractors/repair companies. Does anyone have experience/opinions on Angie's List (membership fee, but reviews from homeowners) v Service Magic (Free, but contractors pay to be included).

Thanks. Nicci

lilycat88
10-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I've used Angie's list in the Indianapolis area since before it became Angie's list and was a paper listing called "Unified Neighbors". It's always worked out great for us. We've found some great service folks and received discounts that more than pay for the membership fees. I don't know where you are from but from what I understand, some areas where Angie's List is newer aren't as well developed as in Indianapolis but I can't really speak to that.

jerigirl
10-30-2007, 10:33 PM
We have used Service Magic for concrete patching, house cleaning, AC repair, bathroom remodeling, pest control, lawn care, and plumbing repair. The companies usually are VERY responsive- they typically get an email or page when you submit your request. We have been pretty satisfied with all of the work we have had done. There are reviews that you can read to see what other people thought of their experiences with each company. We feel like it is an easy way to find a company without having direct recommendations or spending the time calling around. I would say it would definitely be worth a try. It is an easy way to get several quotes on your job quickly. We have never used Angie's List so I can't comment on that. GL!

Jeri

Bean606
10-31-2007, 08:27 AM
I have used Angie's List, with mixed results. We got a locksmith who totally scammed us. To AL's credit, one of their customer reps worked with me to try to get the locksmith to pay back, and when they didn't respond, they were removed from the list. I have used the list for other things, and have been pleased. I haven't used Service Magic because, to me, it seemed like a glorified phone book. But maybe I wasn't reading the fine print.

cvanbrunt
10-31-2007, 10:22 AM
A big fan of Angie's List here. Also in Indy where I think the service started so its well established. We use it all the time and have been pleased. The membership is pretty cheap. We bought a membership for my folks in town because they kept calling us to check "the list" for them. Often, the company gives discounts if you find them through AL. We like it because contractors can't pay to be included.

I tried Service Magic and just got a list of contractors that I could have found in the phone book. I was looking for someone to make custom wood storm windows and ended up getting phone calls from Sears trying to sell me vinyl replacement windows.

-Carrie