PDA

View Full Version : How much cash would you give for a birthday present to an adult?

kozachka
11-01-2007, 06:38 AM
My brother's birthday is coming up. It's not an important date (he'd be 22) so I was thinking $50 as I gave him $100 last year and that's about how much I normally spend on gifts for other family member's (other than DH and DS) regular birthdays but it does not feel that way as I am quite good at scoring bargains ;). At the same time, I feel like it's too little given the things that my brother would like to buy. And I've given up sometime ago on trying to get a perfect gift for my younger sibling, sometimes I score, most times not :(.

How much do you give?

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I think $50 sounds fine. We stopped giving BIL presents after 21. :) Actually, in our families (dh and I) no one really does presents after you turn 21. We get cards, not gifts. My MIL once said that each set of siblings needs to decide for themselves whether they are going to even exchange gifts. I still exchange gifts with my siblings (but only spend $40 tops). Dh doesn't get his siblings anything b/c they never buy him anything. :)

It doesn't have to be totally all the money he would need to buy something. $50 can go a long way towards something. He may get other $ so he can pool it. Or, he could have money from a job or something that he could use for the balance. :) 21 is a big b-day. 22, not so much.

Beth

linsei
11-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the amount is fine. Giving him money to put toward something he wants is completely acceptable. Besides, it's not your job to buy him a new car, or whatever he really wants. ;)

With my SIL, the amount we spend varies, but is usually around $50 in gift-form, not cash. This year, it probably won't be that much b/c we have quite a bit of money already spent on her wedding next year (we are both in it).

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

And a new little Valentine to debut in February!