PDA

View Full Version : Freaked out by my friendly neighborhood State Farm Agent...

Radosti
11-01-2007, 02:13 PM
So, I just got a call from my State Farm Agent. She has been provided the information that there is either a new baby or a baby on the way in our family. Ummmm.... what???? Ummmmm.... how does State Farm know before I even told some of my friends? So, I told her that I am expecting. Then I asked her how exactly she got her information. She told me that it was provided by the State Farm Data Gatherers and was most likely due to a change in my shopping patterns.

Ummmm.... so State Farm is tracking my purchasing habits. And the fact that I hit a sale at Carters a couple of weeks ago and bought a lot of baby clothing for $1.50 a piece (to have for gifts) went straight to State Farm. That would also explain why I all of a sudden started getting Enfamil formula coupons printed out at the Giant Supermarket checkout last week. Of course, the fact that I used those coupons to get my SIL formula for her kiddo (they don't have Giant by them)... that was the final tip off.

How weird and Big Brother is that? While I know that overall, data is being gathered about everyone all the time... it's just freaky to get a call from your insurance agent based on your purchasing pattern changes.

BillK
11-01-2007, 02:17 PM
State Farm IS big brother! :)

Seriously though - they're so incredibly huge it's silly and they hide that fact very well. They could gobble up pretty much every insurer in the US (including Allstate) and not even burp - so it's not shocking to me that they have ways of knowing these things. They are pretty much the Micro$oft of insurance.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2007, 02:25 PM
That is creepy. My first thought was that you had signed up at your Dr.s or midwife's office for the formula stuff. I figured that or registering were opening up a big old can of worms for the world to know you were expecting (and subsequently send you lots of crap :)).

Beth

Melanie
11-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Creeeepy! I know that with my first either my birthing center and or our insurance company sold the information. We received two of all the freebies that came in the mail (formula, diaper coupons, books, spoons, child insurance, photography and on and on and on). I did sign up for the insurance company's 'maternity management program,' (dumb dumb dumb, but I was a first-timer!) and probably didn't read teh fine print. I certainly didn't give my MEDwife permission, though. :( I will bet it's the same type of situation.

I was very proud to keep Dd's birth off of the big brother radar! It felt like such an accomplishment!

Radosti
11-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Oh, yeah, I figured that signing up for that stuff would set them off. But I didn't do any of that yet.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I have managed to not get any pg stuff in the mail or anywhere else at all this time. :) It's so nice!!

Of course, no one probably things I could still be in my reproductive years judging from the number of Medicare packets I get around here (we think they have me mixed up with my mom somehow). :)

Beth

bubbaray
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Its called datamining. Its a huge business.... Kinda like cookies on the internet.

It used to be any place with an affinity card or rewards program, but now its any spending you do with anything other than cash.

It is weird, but pretty hard to get around unless you pay cash for everything, never give out your zip/postal code or phone number, etc..

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

lisams
11-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Maybe they're lurking on the BBB scouting out new siggies. Kidding, hopefully, but it sure is scary how easy it is for companies to get information like that.

californiagirl
11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Years ago I got "Congratulations on your new baby!" stuff for months on end. I mean, 20 years ago. And DD, my only child, is 3.5...

How did I start this avalanche? I paid for baby food with a personal check. For my cat.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Ooh, I never do phone number but I usually do zip code. Oops!

Beth

hez
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I got a dirty look from the woman at Mimi/Motherhood when I refused to give her my phone #-- and was told, "Well then you can't return anything because we won't have your information." Fine. I also won't get the ridiculous amount of junk mail I got last time (when they sold my name to *everyone*). Oh, and I won't be shopping there again. Their loss, not mine.

bubbaray
11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
That's hilarious. Motherhood doesn't let you return stuff anyway!

I just tell them my number is unlisted.... They hate that. I often give out fake numbers too. Some poor soul out there is getting all *my* junk mail, LOL!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

JTsMom
11-02-2007, 07:53 AM
That is SERIOUSLY creepy!

Moneypenny
11-02-2007, 09:50 AM
A year or so ago one of my friends started to get all sorts of baby advertisements in the mail, including things congratulating her on her pregnancy. She thought someone was playing a mean prank on her because she had recently come out as a lesbian and had moved in with her partner. She really thought someone was trying to poke at the middle-age lesbian who would never have kids (not that middle-aged lesbians can't have kids, but she and her partner have no desire to have one. Anyway...) She finally was able to track down the list she'd been placed on, and she'd been placed on the "expecting" mailing list because she had recently purchased baby items for gifts and had several recent visits to her gynecologist (for her annual check-up and some followup). That really creeped me out!

Susan
mama to my 3-year old cutie pie

Sillygirl
11-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Motherhood is the one place I won't even use my credit card - always pay cash. They are INSANELY aggressive with the marketing.

kijip
11-03-2007, 10:50 AM
To see a data firm's file on yourself, no? I want to see what picture emerges.

That said, I have started doing cash. Somewhat as a budget tool and somewhat as a privacy thing.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little 4 year old munchkin Toby.
The butter melts out of habit, you know the toast isn't even warm. -Ani DiFranco

hez
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
My parents' best friends owned a collection agency. Anyway, the friends never, ever use credit cards or even checks. Tells you something, doesn't it?