PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning to buy RockBand?

rgors
11-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I want to buy this for DH for Christmas. But, all of the options are so confusing. There's the $60 basic version but then the $170 bundle. It SEEMS that the bundle comes with the microphone, guitars, and drums -- but then the recommended accessories for the bundle are, guess what, the microphone, guitars, and drums! Are there two basic and upgraded versions of these "instruments" -- why else would the accessories listed seem to be in the bundle already?

And then it seems that the Guitar Hero guitars work on RockBand but not vice versa. DH does not currently have GH, but I believe he would want to get that at some point as well.

I'm really a video game oblivious sort. Can anyone help me figure out what I should buy (pre-order)?

- Do I get "RockBand" and the GH guitars and the RB drums/microphone?
- Do I get "RockBand Bundle" and nothing else?
- If I get just "RockBand" then can you even play the game? (Getting just "RockBand" is appealing to me as I'd have money leftover to get another gift)

Thanks!

BillK
11-02-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't think you'll have a choice initially.

The way I understand it Rockband will only come in the full bundled version with guitar, drums and mic. The version with just the guitar won't be out until later.

I suppose you could just buy the the game itself but that kind of takes away from the whole experience w/o the guitar - kwim?

I got GH3 (and had the wired GH2) and really like both of them. I found myself not playing GH2 because of the wired guitar (I'm a wireless snob) - now that I have GH3 and the wireless guitar I'll probably fire up GH2 again.

I say get him GH3 now and Rockband for Xmas. That way in the event the GH3 guitar works with Rockband (jury is still out on that for Xbox 360 but I think it will work for the Playstation) he'll be all set for wireless play. Personally I HATE wires and unless I can use my wireless GH3 guitar with Rockband - I won't be buying it.

Microsoft is very reluctant to release it's proprietary wireless technology to third parties (like Red Octane the GH maker) but finally caved in for GH3. From what I read - they couldn't come to an agreement with EA (the maker of Rockband) - so the xbox360 version will be wired. The PS3 guitar will be wireless since the PS3 uses standard old RF technology and not a proprietary system like the Xbox 360.

Hope all that helps. (yes I'm a videogame geek)

*EDIT* found this link regarding the guitar compatibility between the games: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/830/830792p1.html

rgors
11-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Bill, Bless you for being on these boards!

I know that DH definitely wants RockBand first. He likes the song list better, I think? I was planning on getting GH3 but then last night we had company, and he was telling said company that his next game purchase, early next year, would be RB.

By the way, we have xbox 360.

It appears one can buy RockBand alone?: http://www.amazon.com/MTV-Games-Rock-Band/dp/B000TT2D0M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/104-1737492-2439966?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1194015079&sr=8-5
(similar links avail at bestbuy, circuitcity, etc)

Does the Rockband bundle include a wireless guitar, or a wired guitar? I assume wireless.

I wonder how much space the drums take up. We have a small house :(

So -- given you'd be getting RB, which hopefully I can buy as a standalone game if I want -- would you want the GH3 lespaul guitar or the RB guitar?

BillK
11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
well xbox 360 rb guitar is wired - which i hate - but it does have the effects feature that wouldn't work with the gh wireless guitar. if your hubby doesn't mind the wire - i'd go rb guitar. the drum kit isn't too big really - my local bestbuy has a demo of it set up.

rgors
11-02-2007, 05:39 PM
thank you so much!!