PDA

View Full Version : AZ moms (or dads)--I have a question for you

s_gosney
11-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi! So, I recently found out that we have a huge surprise number 2 on the way, and since we just moved to the area, I need a new OB or midwife. I'd like someone who is low intervention (or at least supportive of a patient's desire to go that route). I wouldn't mind delivering in a free-standing birth center, but definitely don't want a home birth (which is what most of the midwifes I've looked into around here seem to do). I live in Chandler and commute to Tempe each day for work/school, so somewhere in that area is best. I know nothing about the doctors, hospitals, etc around here, so any insight you have is much appreciated. Thanks!

cdlamis
11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Sherri,

Welcome to Arizona! And congrats on #2!

My OB is Dr. Joan Warner at Desert Foothills (Chandler Blvd, about 5 miles west of the Chandler Mall). She listened to my needs and concerns and was very open to my trying a VBAC. I would say she is very open to low intervention even though she may not push it, she is still open to it. I *think* she was one of the first to try a water birth at the Chandler Hospital.

There is a AZ Moms board on Mothering.com They will definitely be able to help you as well.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any more information about anything around here. I live in Gilbert and have lived here all my life.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

lisams
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Congratulations!! I also live in Chandler, but I wouldn't recommend my OB (he's great, but is also quick to jump with interventions). I delivered at Banner Desert with both and highly recommend them if you go with a hospital birth. There is a local yahoo group with a bunch of women who would be able to help you out. It's azmamas -http://groups.yahoo.com/group/azmamas/. I'll warn you that there are a few with strong opinions in the group, but if you can look past that it really is a great group of wonderful women who will be able to give you some recommendations.

Good luck in your search!

Emmas Mom
11-02-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.careforwomen.net/

My doctor for both our girls was Tiersa Damore, though Dr. Lew delivered our oldest DD. Dr. Damore was great & I never had any issues with her. I wish we still lived in Arizona. They have an office in Tempe off McClintock & Guadalupe.

lisams
11-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh my goodness, Dr. Damore deliverd my first (my dr. wasn't the on call that night). I really liked her a lot. I had a long induction (pregnancy induced hypertension)and she never once made me feel like we should have a c/s (when I know very well that my dr. would have been pushing for one). I've actually thought of switching over to her.

Emmas Mom
11-02-2007, 07:46 PM
How funny! I like her a lot & never had any issues through both my pregnancies. I highly recommend her. :) And I liked all the doctors in the practice that I met too.

caleymama
11-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Sherri, no advice as I'm on the other side of the country. Just wanted to say congratulations and wish you well :).

s_gosney
11-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone both for the recs and the well wishes. I'm going to see if either of the recommended docs take my insurance and then go from there. I'm really late on getting into the doc on this and appreciate the help so hopefully the search won't take as long.

Thanks again!