PDA

View Full Version : Did you gain back your weight after weaning?

Tammy
11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Not sure where to post this, but thought this might get more traffic here. My dd just had her first b-day and we're in the process of weaning from bf. Just wondered if any of you noticed gaining back some weight after you weaned your lo? I'm a size smaller now than I was before I got pregnant- hope to stay there!

elephantmeg
11-05-2007, 10:08 AM
some but I realized I needed to cut back on the extra calories I was consuming or exercise to burn them! I missed my calorie sucker!

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes. :(

I did not wean till 19 months. Things had tapered off weight loss wise (well, it started to creep back on) after 12 months. I should have tried harder to eat better and exercise. I took the weight loss for granted.

Basically I gained 27lbs with ds, was a bit over my ideal weight when I got pg, lost 60lbs in that first year (first few months mostly), gained back 20lbs. So, I didn't get up to my pre-pregnancy weight but I did gain some back. It's been hard to shake it too. I didn't think that the lowest weight was likely to stay...but it was nice.

Now, I don't know how normal my experience was. I lost a lot of weight and it wasn't the right way to lose weight (just wasn't eating much). Can't really expect to sustain that.

We'll see what happens after this little one is born!! Fingers crossed on the weight loss. Not going to take it for granted this time!!

Beth

LarsMal
11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Same for me. I gained a couple pounds back within a few days. I realized I needed to adjust my calories since DD wasn't helping me burn them anymore. Oh yeah...and I also realized that I actually might need to EXERCISE since I used my "calorie sucker" as my excuse not to exercise!!

Moneypenny
11-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I did not gain it back but DD weaned so gradually (at 2.75 years old) that I think it gave me time for my diet to automatically adjust without me having to think about it.

Susan
mama to my 3-year old cutie pie

daisymommy
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm in total agreement with the previous posters. I lost all my pregnancy weight, plus more. I went down to almost 2 sizes below my pre-pregnancy weight! It was awesome! (thank-you Hannah :)).

But then as the nursing slowed down, I kept on eating...and not excercising. And now she is only nursing once every few days for comfort; she's prcatically weaned herself. And I forgot to taper off how much I was eating, and to start burning off some calories.

Sigh...now my clothes are all tight. I guess it's time to put Josh's Halloween candy away ;)

pb&j
11-05-2007, 11:46 AM
You betcha. But I'm still a pound or two lighter than I was pre-preg. Regular exercise has been key for me.

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

scoop22
11-05-2007, 01:02 PM
i gained some back.. but if i would have cut the snacks down and continued with exercise i think i would have been better. just be cautious of it. i hope you stay at your size as well. good luck.

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/WtLfm4.png

g-mama
11-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Yes! I got into the habit of eating much more than I normally did and it was so hard to cut back and eat smaller portions again. I am now 10 lbs heavier than I was when I weaned ds a year ago. *sigh*

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

gatorsmom
11-05-2007, 10:47 PM
No!! I lost 10 pounds more in 3 weeks! Happened the same way after weaning both my boys!!

I weaned Gator at 9 months and Cha Cha at 10 months and never felt like I could break past a weight plateau until I weaned them. My OBGYN said that it's normal- he sees it all the time in bfing moms. It's like your body doesn't want to let all those fat stores go. Once you stop bfing, the body doesn't need them as much anymore and so your body doesn't hold onto them!

Weaning the boys was the only way I could get back down to prepregnancy weight. That's not why I quit at 9 and 10 months, though. I weaned them early because I got tired of them biting me!!!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

table4three
11-06-2007, 01:27 AM
I did. I BF DS till 12 months. I got down to 5 pounds below pre-preg. After weaning, I slowly gained weight and ended up 10 pounds above pre-preg. So, when I got pregnant with DD I was 10 pounds above where I started with DS. I've lost what I gained with her, so now I'm working on those 10 pounds again. I need to make sure that when I wean DD I make sure to remember to cut back on the calories!

DS - 2
DD - brand new!

hez
11-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Nope. We weaned fairly gradually, though.

caleymama
11-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I had a similar experience. Other than an initial postpartum drop in weight, I didn't experience much in the way of weight loss until after weaning. I gained ~40 lbs with each pregnancy and started out about the same weight for each. I stayed about 10-15 lbs, at least, over pre-pregnancy weight until after weaning and it was only then that I had any hope of getting back to pre-pregnancy weight. After both kids I did eventually get back to where I had been and it was so funny (interesting?) to me how my body did the same thing both times weight wise, both during pregnancy and after.

Melanie
11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes. Actually immediately upon Ds geting more food than breastmilk, he hadn't even weaned. It really snuck up on me. bah.

With Dd I unfortunately not smaller than before PG w/her , so I'm ttrying to start being more careful now, even though she's not weaned.