PDA

View Full Version : Do you compliment people?

Corie
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Just curious! I love to pass along compliments but
sometimes, I get the strangest look from people.

KBecks
11-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, but I'm not a super frequent complimenter.

I love getting compliments though and I love people who give them. It's an attractive thing to give compliments.

I have given weird looks (sort of surprised) to people -- especially a month ago when an attractive co-worker who knows how to look good told me my hair looked great -- when I seriously rolled out of bed and barely did anything to it. I felt it was a disaster hair day and she loved it! I'm sure I looked confused and taken aback -- but I still believed her and it made me feel good to hear it!

gatorsmom
11-06-2007, 12:07 AM
I love to compliment people but I find that I OFTEN get strange looks from people I'm complimenting. Of course, those looks usually come from total strangers who are probably wondering what I want from them. But I give compliments to friends and family too, and I know it makes their day. Especially since I'm not the kind of person to make those compliments up- I'm very honest and forthright most of the time so they know I"m being sincere.

But strangers, yeah, they often look at me suspiciously when I say something nice. such a shame.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

kijip
11-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah, a lot. After all, I have to pay forward all the compliments people pay me. :P

J/k, well sort of. I do get a lot of compliments/positive feedback on my work and a lot of people approach me (it is a running joke with my friends) when I am out. When someone approaches me, they usually are paying a compliment, saying hi cause we met a long time ago, OR they are crazy (maybe all three?). This summer I had a lady approach me when we were at the opera and exclaim that I must get marriage proposals all the time. I was quite taken a back and laughed that my husband might not let me accept them if I did and she explained that my shoes were so cool that her and her husband had been staring at them the whole time we were lingering in the lobby for the bell. They were 5 inch heels with polka dots, so I told her where to get them on sale since I had just bought them. Another time at a rock show, a guy complimented me on my shirt. I was VERY pregnant then, and 4+ years later, we are still friends. I have found that the best way to respond is to return a compliment.

Also, I like to say *thank you* to people that are doing things I think are wonderful, so I pay a lot of compliments to people that I volunteer with or know via school and are also working in my field. I know I enjoy hearing it myself, so I try to do the same for others.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little 4 year old munchkin Toby.
The butter melts out of habit, you know the toast isn't even warm. -Ani DiFranco

Marisa6826
11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Absolutely. If I see somebody that looks particularly well put together or has a really great bag, shoes or haircut, I tell them. I definitely comment on cool jewelry.

I *especially* make a point of complimenting new Moms. We ALL remember how harried we all felt the first few times we were out on our own with babies. Hell, if I had a bra on and brushed my teeth, I considered it a success.

I remember one occasion where Jonathan and I were out to dinner at a nice restaurant and there was a lady at a table next to us that looked just SO nice. She was so put together. Nice hair, makeup, dress. Everything was perfect. And she looked like she was really enjoying herself. So at the end of dinner, I went over and told her that she just looked beautiful. She was really gracious, and I think it made her feel nice.

Isn't that the whole idea?

-m

LarsMal
11-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I like giving compliments. I don't go out of my way to do it, but I do like giving them.

I, however, am HORRIBLE at accepting compliments. I always manage to take something nice someone says and spin it so it negates what they've said- KWIM? I have a really hard time just saying thank you and moving on. I don't know why, I've always been that way.

SnuggleBuggles
11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
I only give genuine compliments. I hate false compliments from people. I have a friend who will always look to compliment everyone and it doesn't feel genuine.

So, when I compliment you then you will know I totally mean it. :)

Beth

maestramommy
11-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes, I do, but mostly friends and family. The only time I approach strangers is to tell them how adorable their dc is, or to ask where they got their awesome looking carrier :P

I think I would feel weird if a complete stranger came up and complimented me on my appearance, so it wouldn't occur to me to do that to someone else. But I love it when people comment on my adorable children or ask where I got my carrier. So there you go :D

g-mama
11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Yes, I do, but usually only to friends or family. I'm a bit too shy to approach a stranger, but occasionally I will. It makes me feel fantastic when someone compliments me sincerely or notices that I lost weight or took extra time with my hair, etc. I really appreciate that and so I try to remember to say something when I notice something like that about someone else.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

schums
11-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, all the time. Family, friends, strangers -- I'll let anyone know if I think they look awesome, have great shoes/sweater/purse, etc. My big thing for the last few years is to find a family in restaurants where the kids are being awesome and let the parents know on our (or their) way out. I only do it if the kids are being good, so it is totally sincere. Also, after I tell the parents how awesome their kids are, I address some of the praise to the kids themselves. I always LOVE it when people let me know they think my kids are well behaved/polite, so I pass it on. I think too many people make parents feel like DC should not be allowed out in public, or only comment when DC aren't having a great day. I try to counter it by "catching" kids being good, and letting the parents know. I've actually had a woman cry one time I did this.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)