PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with self injury ("cutting" or burning) in an adult?

lilycat88
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Most of what I can find written is about kids/teens with not much about adults. I have some suspicians about a 30ish friend of mine. Too many injuries with weird explanations. I've always just associated it with angst filled teenagers. Do folks over 16 do it to? PM me if you want or email me at lilycat88 at hotmail . com

Thanks
J

egoldber
11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, adults do this too. :( My neice (who is 24) has struggled with depresssion and bipolar disorder for many years, still cuts herself when she is going through particularly bad times. It started when she was a teen though.

Tondi G
11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
My DH's aunt is 50 something and she recently went through a cutting phase. She has struggled with depression and anorexia for a LONG time. She actually has a doctorate in Psychology.... you'd think she would know to get herself some help and some meds..... it is so sad! But yes to answer your question, yes people older than teenage years do it too!

~Tondi

JustMe
11-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I am a therapist, and yes plenty of adults cut as well. There is a wide range of what this could mean in terms of your friend. Some adults have done this along time, have not been able to stop or develop better coping mechanisms, etc. while for others it can indicate something more serious.

Robyn