PDA

View Full Version : What is a reasonable price per hour for classes in your area?

kozachka
11-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I know it depends, still I'd love to hear what's normal in your area. Montessori club that DS goes to after daycare has sent us new prices that seem rather high. It ranges from $75 for a 3 hour class twice a week if you prepay for 1 month to $28 for three times a week if you prepay for 12 months. You also get monthly child reports, and bi-monthly consultations if you prepay for more. Considering that we used to pay $188 per month for a 2 hour class three times a week, it's a hell of a raise. And a lot of money for Ukraine. I am still waiting to hear how much we would have to pay for a 2 hour class at new prices but would like to hear what we would have had to pay if we were back in the States. DS loves his club and has been asking to go back. I thought these prices were for a 2 hour class so as soon as I received them, we stopped going as I thought it was extortion.

o_mom
11-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure if your prices in your post are the hourly rate or the monthly amount?

For reference, we pay $100/month for 2.5 hrs, 2days/wk for a church based preschool with 5:1 student teacher ratio. That works out to about $5/hr, I think? For one-time classes at the park, they are closer to $8-10/hr, or $6-7/hr for a session (6 1-hr classes for $35 for example). Some Montessori tends to be simlar - $325/month for 3hr/day, 5 days/wk.

kozachka
11-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Thank you for the information. I posted a mix of per class and monthly prices. If I only prepay for a month and DS takes 3 classes a week, 3 hours each, it would be over $1K. Previously, it was about $220. And if I want to get the "cheap" rate, I'd have to prepay for 12 months upfront.

niccig
11-08-2007, 01:42 AM
That's a pretty big jump in prices.

Our preschool is $320 a month for 9 hours a week ( 3x3hours). Other classes start at about $10 an hour. Your prices sound reasonable to me, that's if the 6 hours a week is $75 a month (not sure if I got that right) but I'm in LA and every thing's more expensive here.

kozachka
11-08-2007, 11:38 AM
$75 is for a 3 hour class twice a week so per month would be $675 assuming 4.5 weeks.

ETA: Just called the club and terms are quite a bit better if I prepay for 12 months upfront. With existing client discount of 5% and it would be a little bit over $306 per month for a 2 hour class or about $330 for a 3 hour class. And I would be able to put it on hold for vacation for 4 weeks. Still thinking about it.