PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever won anything?

zephyr
11-07-2007, 10:59 PM
I mean like a car, money, gift card, vacation, barbecue grill, etc. I have to ask just because I was filling out an entry form at the mall to win a car and dh was just laughing, saying nobody ever wins those things, they just want your info so they can spam you...blah blah blah.

Also, I always fill out the online survey from my Lowe's, Target, or BRU if I get a survey invite on my receipt, but I have NEVER won anything.

So if you have ever won something please feel free to share. Thanks!

Zephyr

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
No, not from things like those. I've won a picnic table playing Bingo and a TV playing bingo (the table when I was just a kid and my mom claimed it for me; tv was when I was in college). I also won the lottery once (got big sis to play numbers that came to me in a dream).

I do *not* do any surveys or enter to win sweepstakes. I have no desire to get on mailing lists or other solicitations. You have to pay pretty hefty taxes on those kinds of winnings too, right?

I'm just too cynical for them, I guess. Someone may win but I don't think the trade off is worth it. :) I'm with your dh. :)

Beth

MamaMolly
11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Yup! I filled out an entry form that was in the ads you get in the Sunday paper for...um...I think it was parmesan cheese? (Shame on me! I should remember!) But anyway, I won a really nice Pyrex casserole dish with a cover and carrying case! I had totally forgotten about it when a leter arrived saying I'd won. Since then, I enter any contest that catches my eye.

Have fun!
Molly

sidmand
11-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Before DS, sweepstaking was my hobby for about 10 years! I'm not a hugely lucky person, but I entered A LOT. I liked decorating the envelopes (there was a "science" involved depending if if the entry was being sent to a big judging agency or a local sweepstakes). I also did a bit of contesting (contests involve some type of skill whereas a sweepstakes requires only an entry).

I won a TV, computer, six trips (including to see a taping of "Friends"), sports memorabilia (signed ball, bat, magazine cover, shirt), many many t-shirts and caps...

My biggest prizes were probably a trip for six to the Mall of America, plus some spending money and/or the trip to see "Friends." I liked getting "presents"! I didn't end up on many (if any) mailing lists. I used to use a fake middle initial so I knew if they were selling my name.

I do miss it, but I just don't have time to keep up with it anymore. I think at the height of my sweeping I was probably sending out about 100 entries a week (so you can see why my percentage of winning to entering wasn't all that high!).

Turns out it runs in my family. My uncle has won a car and a trip to Disney from a local radio station. He also entered a lot of sweepstakes and I'm sure his list is pretty impressive. I started to win a trip to Disney, but never got that one. I know another uncle won a diamond ring and a Weber grill among other things.

People definitely win. Although more people win from the second chance. For instance, there were 100 trips to see "Friends"...you had to find a bottle cap with the name "Rachel" on it. Two people found the bottle caps. The other 98 won from a second chance (sending in a 3 x 5 card with their name). Second chance sweepstakes usually give the best odds.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev110pr___.png[/img] (][img)

table4three
11-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I never won anything until this summer when I won a raffle for a Bumble Bags diaper bag. It was nice to finally win something!

DS - 2
DD - coming this summer!

cleo27
11-08-2007, 01:02 AM
I have won a bunch of prizes from radio stations - gift certificates, blockbuster rentals, cds, symphony tickets, concert tickets to see Sting! (my 2nd favorite prize...)

My absolute favorite prize? Tickets to see Tori Amos (my favorite musician ever, that I had paid to see probably 6 or 7 times previously), along with a private performance (only the 10 winners and their guests) and a chance to meet her and get her autograph.

When I was a kid, we had an elementary school spring fair each year. One year, playing bingo at that, I won the 2 "big" prizes. A gift certificate to Bradlees (does anyone remember this store, kind of like Caldor?) I used that to buy a Cabbage Patch doll that I had been coveting for ages! :) The other big prize was a special baguette bread from a swanky bakery in the shape of an alligator.

Oh, one more thing, in high school a friend and I entered a drawing in the Mall for some real estate company. I totally forgot about it until I got a call several weeks later - I won the prize which was a huge Gund teddy bear. I still have that bear packed away.

I guess I have been pretty lucky with winning stuff but I keep trying to win money off the radio, but haven't had any luck yet....

Fun post!

MelissaTC
11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I won a bicycle from the mall once. It was an entry at a shoe store and I almost didn't enter it! The sales associate reminded me to fill one out so I said what the heck and won. I also won some collectible items from Hallmark. I have won some small things like placing second in a Purina dog food contest and I won a coupon for a free large bag of dog food. My dogs were happy! ;)

Piglet
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I won a BBQ when I was 10 just in time for Father's Day. It was perfect because that year my dad decided to buy himself a BBQ. He bought it a few days before I won mine, but he hadn't put his together yet because he hates assembling things like that. Mine was the perfect present because it was already assembled, LOL! He returned his unopened BBQ and used mine for the next 16 years. A few years ago we bought him a new one and I assembled it before giving it to him (I LOVE assembling things).

I haven't won anything since...
Marina

Mommy to
DS1 A 07/14/01
DS2 K 03/10/05
DD1 A 05/08/07

http://by.lilypie.com/Jz7Qm6/.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UqL2m6.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/O20wm6.png

maestramommy
11-08-2007, 04:45 PM
once i won a spot for breakfast interview with Jim Brickman at my local radio station. When I got there I as pleased to find I also won 2 tickets to their annual Valentine's Party, where Jim Brickman and All 4 One (remember them? :-) )were performing. Normally I imagine they would be at least $50 each. Dh and I were engaged at the time, so it was a pretty cool date.

Corie
11-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Debbie,

Have you ever read the book, "The Prize Winner from Defiance, Ohio" ??

It is about sweepstaking. It's a true story of a woman
who did this. I found it fascinating!

http://www.amazon.com/Prize-Winner-Defiance-Ohio-Mother/dp/0739416383/ref=sr_1_3/105-1273358-9982834?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194572269&sr=1-3

maestramommy
11-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Wasn't there a movie made about this woman? Staring Julianne Moore?

sidmand
11-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Not only did I read the book (and I just saw the movie!), I actually have a copy signed by the author (before she died). She was one of the guest speakers at the sweepstaking convention (yes, there are such things) that I went to a few years ago...Terry Ryan.

I actually just saw the movie a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like she was a pretty amazing woman.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev110pr___.png[/img] (][img)

Corie
11-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I actually read the book because I know of the town.
(Defiance, Ohio)

I used to live one town over. These are tiny little towns
in the NW corner of Ohio.

In fact, I used to drive to Defiance (15 minute drive) to get
my haircut. :)

clc053103
11-09-2007, 09:55 AM
I won a barbeque grill- which I think is a riot b/c that was on your list of things!

It was some sort of contest at the gym.

Other than that- I'm on the unlucky list.

elephantmeg
11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
I won 3 months of membership to the gym associated with the hospital I work for. I was already a member and it was nice!

MartiesMom2B
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
When I was in college I entered some random contest and won tickets to a big Blockbuster Concert in Dallas. Too bad I lived in Maryland and Dallas wasn't easy to go to.

I also won free tickets to see Eve 6 when I entered a contest for DC101 when I went to a Caps game. I didn't feel like going to the 9:30 Club when I had to work the next day, so I didn't go to that either.

-Sonia
Mommy to the M&M girls