PDA

View Full Version : moms of 5 year olds-how did your dc respond to their 5 yr wc shots?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-08-2007, 01:57 AM
DD is having hers in december on a saturday, I wanted to give her the weekend to get over any side effects. She hasn't had any immunizations for a long time and I'm sure she'll respond differantly than she did as a toddler. So I was just wondering how other 5 year olds have responded to theirs so I have an idea of what to expect. TIa

trumansmom
11-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Badly. Very, very badly. And it was my fault. I made the mistake of telling him that while shots would hurt, it wasn't a bad hurt, but more like a pinch. Unfortunately, in his head he decided that kids' shots were doen with "pinchers". When he saw the needles he started screaming, "But those are grown up shots! Where are the kid pinchers?!!" And then he didn't stop screaming for a very long time. :( It was horrible.

So, prepare your DD, but be very, very, very careful of the word choice. Also, plan lots of treats for immediately after. My guilt took all kinds of spoiling him to be assuaged. *sigh* Now that you've brought it up again, I may have to take him to Chuck E. Cheese tomorrow to make myself feel better again!

I wish I could have told you it was a piece of cake, but it just wasn't. :(

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

hbridge
11-08-2007, 06:57 AM
At 4, DC did not shed a tear and there was barely a wimper. I was so proud...

Now blood draws are a whole different ball game...

SnuggleBuggles
11-08-2007, 09:03 AM
He didn't have any trouble with his. His leg was a little sore where they did the MMR.

Getting the shots? Different story. He did ok with with all but the MMR. That is a subcutaneous shot- and it hurt! He barely flinched on the other(s?). I warned my friend about that so she could have a way to pay full attention to him rather than her other 2 kids. He had a very similar reaction.

Beth

JElaineB
11-08-2007, 09:55 AM
DS just got his and he wasn't too happy, he's says he's never getting any shots ever again. He got the varicella booster in one leg and the MMR booster and influenza vax in the other leg. Reaction-wise he got a slight rash around the varicella site, which they said was expected. It faded after a few days. They said 10 days later or so he could get a slight overall rash from the MMR but we haven't seen that yet and it is right around 10 days. Otherwise he acted completed fine once he got over the shock of getting the shots, so I think he felt fine afterwards.

egoldber
11-08-2007, 10:06 AM
My DD did fine with the shots. But here they require a TB skin prick test before school entry and YOWZA did she not like that!!

billysmommy
11-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Billy just got the first of his Hep B series and really didn't even flinch ~ he said he "had to show Benjamin how to be brave for shots" :)

michellep
11-08-2007, 10:46 AM
omg, I made the "pinch" mistake too! We have this book about Blue going to the doctor and that's how Steve or whatever that guy's name is now described it--and Blue was fine. But my child is not a cartoon dog (must remember that!) and it was a nightmare.

I have no idea what the right approach should have been, but trying to minimize it with talks of it being just a pinch officially does not work. :( It was one of those terrible parenting moments when every bad parenting choice you've ever made flashes before your eyes. I think we need a trip to Chuck E. Cheese too! See you in the ball pit of guilt...

-M

MichelleRC
11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
To my complete and utter surprise, DS did great! The nurse had me sit in a chair first and then had him sit on my lap facing me, so like belly to belly. I just hugged him and she gave him 2 in one arm and 1 in the other. Over in a flash. Whew. Only weird thing is that he refused to take the band-aids off until they fell off.

MelissaTC
11-08-2007, 04:31 PM
He cried for the MMR. I gave him some motrin before we got to the office. He said he was trying to be brave as the tears streamed down his face. :( I felt so bad for him. But once it was done, he was fine. No side effects at all. He was quite proud of the band-aids and the junk he got to pick out of the treasure box.

Puddy73
11-08-2007, 05:37 PM
DD reacted badly to her 4 year wc shots. She had two in each leg and I had to hold her down after the first one. She screamed so loudly that I thought the pictures would fall off the walls. It was very upsetting for both of us and she still talks about it a few months later. I had told her that she would be getting shots and that they would sting a little bit, but apparently that didn't help to prepare her!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

psophia17
11-08-2007, 08:01 PM
N had two vax at 3.5yo, and he did okay. I told him that the shots were medicine that kept germs from making him sick, instead of taking medicine after he was already sick. Honesty worked - it's going to hurt, but it wouldn't be that bad, and it would be over soon. And I bribed him with the promise of McDs after.

Now when we go for R's vax, N always asks if he's getting a shot, too, and if we're getting McDs. Whatever works, right?

trumansmom
11-09-2007, 12:48 AM
LOL! "Ball pit of guilt". I will so be using that one!

Sorry you had the same experience. :(

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04