PDA

View Full Version : What Native American Indian name would you give your child?

sue_g
11-08-2007, 12:53 PM
The teachers at my dc preschool are making shirts for Thanksgiving for the children. They want the parents to come up with a Native American Indian name for their dc. They said to use your child's personality to come up with a name. I am trying to decide a name and immediately thought of this board. What would you name your dc?

I forgot to mention they also said to use nature or animals.

pb&j
11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I could pick from several:
Eats With Gusto
Cat Talker
Laughing Boy
Thumb in his Mouth
Runs with Trucks

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

JElaineB
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Um, I don't want to seem rude but that seems a little odd. It is a type of cultural appropriation that could very easily be offensive to someone, especially someone of Native American descent. And you can't always tell by looking from someone if they are Native American (not that is is necessarily a good thing to do even if there aren't any Native American/First Nations children in the class).

lilycat88
11-08-2007, 04:16 PM
My DDs class is studying Native Americans right now as well. Evidently, the children chose Native American names for themselves. They are THREE YEARS OLD! I think DDs is "Purple Dragon" or something. It's posted in her cubbie. I'm no help on name suggestions and I think it's sort of odd as well. Must be the latest in preschool curriculum or something since I've not seen that before.

katydid1971
11-08-2007, 05:36 PM
I have to agree that this is inappropriate at best. Are they then going to have a group of students massacre them or just take away all their property?

sue_g
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
I definitely did not want this question to be offensive to anyone, I was just looking for help for my ds class. I know the teacher did not mean any offense either. They are teaching about the Native American culture in school and just wanted to involve the children. I am sorry if this question to seek assistance offended anyone as it was not my intention. If anyone wants to reply with suggestions please do so. I just thought this would be an interesting question and I know that the people on this board are so creative.

cdlamis
11-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't think its offensive- actually I think it teaches the children about the history and culture of Native Americans and the reasons behind their names.
I am NOT creative but was thinking along the lines of "dances like leaf" or "plays like cat".

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

mudder17
11-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Funny you should ask. As it turns out, both of my DD's names do have a Native American origin. I believe Kaya is Hopi, but not sure about Mika--Navaho? Can't remember at the moment.

But I think it would be fun for the kids to choose one for themselves. Maybe the teacher could talk about how Native Americans came up with names and then the kids could come up with one on their own. (Or you could follow the same guidelines.)

That said, for my own girls I could come up with:

DD#1:
Yogurt Girl
Thumb in Mouth
Silly Girl
Clever Fingers

DD#2:
Eats With Gusto (Yep Ry, I have one of those too!)
Laughing Girl/Giggles with Glee
Everything in Mouth

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

lizajane
11-08-2007, 07:52 PM
climbs like monkey
runs like wild horse

and for dylan...
mischievious fox
squirrel with great heart

in our house, we commonly refer to the children as "monkey" and "the squirrel." not sure why dylan is THE squirrel... but he is...

psophia17
11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Whines like a Seagull
Grunts like a Pig

?

I don't want DS's preschool to do this, because I couldn't come up with anything good...

maestramommy
11-08-2007, 08:13 PM
DD#1
One who stares into your soul
talks with hands

DD#2
Thumb in mouth
One who screeches like a hawk

elliput
11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Jumps like rabbit
Small running deer
Laughing creek

denna
11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I am native american and not really offended by your post or your question but I was a little surprised. When I first read the title I thought it was actual Native American names, like my SIL Kiona which means 'Brown Hills' or Kyla (cant remember the meaning right now). But this is fun too :D

KBecks
11-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Oooh, I like clever fingers!

StantonHyde
11-08-2007, 09:57 PM
We already use Bucket of Squirrels. (and behind DS's back--Drama King)
Likes Whining,
Faster,
Belly Laugh,
Pipes in Head (because DS is so pale his skin is translucent and you can see the pipes in his head)
Princess Puncher

american_mama
11-09-2007, 02:03 AM
I am sure that you didn't mean to offend, nor did the preschool teacher, but I agree with the previous poster who said this project does. Unless a person is really knowledgeable about Native American groups - far more than I suspect could possibly exist in a preschool class - how can you come up with a name that is anything other than a stereotype?

If some of the posts here make you see the project from a different perspective, you might broach the subject with the teacher and consider substituting a different project.

cdlamis
11-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Karen,

I am really not trying to argue (esp since OP didn't intend this) but I truly want to know why this activity is offensive. I admit I don't know enough about this Native American tradition- or if its even a true tradition. If the children are naming themselves and maybe learning a *bit* about Native American names, then why is it stereotyping? The only thing I can think of is that these names are actually not a part of NA history and just a stereotype assumed by the rest of us?

Can you (or someone) explain it to me? I *really* do want to know- not just trying to argue. This thread has me thinking and I am always amazed by the wealth of knowledge here.

Thanks!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

set81616
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't know what name I would use but my adopted brother is Lakota Souix (he actually adopted my mom, not vice versa) and his real name is Ron Killswarrior. He would not have a problem with this activity and is actually coming to my house for Thanksgiving (his idea). he has lived on one of the poorest reservations all his life. When my mom goes out each year with a big group they always go see Crazy Horse and Ron and his mom (Gypsie) say to "throw an indian in each car" so there is no charge. While some Native Americans might have a problem with this a lot would not. Since they are preschoolers most people would realize they are not trying to offend. Hope your DC has fun.
Shannon

dcmom2b3
11-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I can't claim any special knowledge (b/c my own education, supposedly a fine one, is so woefully lacking in this area) but I have been thinking about this since I first saw the post last night, and would like to share a couple of thoughts that I've had, maybe for no other reason than to hear myself express them "out loud." Sorry, it's probably going to be long.

First, naming ceremonies frequently have spiritual or religious significance (I'm thinking of my daughter's upcoming baptism as an example.) I don't know that this is the case for all Native American tribes and traditions, but I wouldn't assume that it isn't. I think that, as described, the exercise runs the risk of glossing over that fact -- or at least not exploring it. I'd sure do a double take if my DD's preschool class was studying colonial America and were to come up with WASP-y names was a part of that exercise. (We're Episcopalians but not WASPs; I needed to come up with an analogy and decided to use my family -- don't mean to offend anyone).

Second, and on a more personal note, I was well in my 30s before I really became aware of the richness and diversity of Native American culture as it exists today (and am still learning). In my case, Native American culture, to the extent that it was addressed at school, was done so in a fashion much like the static and historical way we studied ancient Greece and Rome -- mythology, Coliseum, Rome, emperors, togas, and we're done. I think this approach led to a good bit of stereotyping on my part, not maliciously, but certainly mindlessly. It's great that Native American traditions are part of a curriculum at such a early age, but my personal concern would be that it not stop there, and that generalizations be rejected -- at least some of the variety between tribes should be discussed at an age appropriate level. Without that, I think the seeds of stereotypes are sown.

Which brings me to my last thought -- when is it age-appropriate to begin to introduce difficult, sensitive or complex topics to kids? Like slavery, racism, or the mistreatment of Native American populations by European settlers? How is that best done? By whom? I have no clue, and can't help but be torn between wanting a balanced educational experience for my child and wanting to shelter her from the ugliness of the world (which can't be done, I know). So part of me can't fault a toddler curriculum for blowing past the heavy stuff. But it has to be addressed at some point.

Off my soapbox now . . .

Best,

Mary-Helen

KBecks
11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I wasn't sure about the appropriateness of the exercise but I don't think it's awful or that the school has bad intentions.

I sort of like Thunder Feet or Screaming Rabbit for my oldest.

That said if this were my real thing, I'd probably spend far too much time online looking up real Native American names and researching something that fits the project as best as possible.

californiagirl
11-09-2007, 02:22 PM
You realize (and the teacher is teaching) that there are many many different native american languages and cultures, and naming like this is not common to all of them, right?

And you realize that quaint naming traditions persist in European cultures to this day, right? That legally, you must have a saint's name in France, unless you can show cultural heritage reasons and get an exception? That Iceland still uses a system where you just get a first name, and your last name is "son of <father's name>" or "daughter of <mother's name>"?

If you're going to teach a little something about Native Americans, start with: They aren't dead, and they aren't all the same. Talking about "Native American" names makes as much sense as talking about "European" names.

Piglet
11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I guess, I am also confused. I am Jewish and there are Jewish names in every baby book. Ditto Italian, Irish, Gaelic, etc. If my kids were studying Russia and had to come up with Russian names, I don't think anyone would find that offensive or stereotyping in any way. Thinking back, I just remembered that when I was in French class we had to give ourselves French names. I was Lucie :) Am I missing something? I am sure that there are Native American names in many baby name books. I am thinking Sequoia or something of that sort.

Marina

Mommy to
DS1 A 07/14/01
DS2 K 03/10/05
DD1 A 05/08/07

http://by.lilypie.com/Jz7Qm6/.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UqL2m6.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/O20wm6.png

Corie
11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Marina,

We had to do the same thing in my Latin classes in high school.
For the 4 years of high school, as soon as I entered my Latin classroom,
I became known as Marcella.

gatorsmom
11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Why does this have to be an offensive activity? Innocent children trying to learn about Native Americans in an innocent way for a holiday that celebrates a peaceful venture between the pilgrims and indians. Instead should we be teaching them about ethnic cleansing and war? Can't we just focus on the peaceful aspects of our spotted history while they are this age?

I would certainly hope, that viewing it from this perspective, if there are any Native Americans who post on this website, you can forgive our clumsiness, understand that it's not meant in a hurtful way, and explain your traditions to us.

While I lived in France, I can't tell you how many times the French people assumed that: all Americans drink is coca-cola, we are all fat, and we live on McDonald's and fast food. Rather than get irate with each case of stereotyping, I'd calmly explain that those were inaccurate generalizations. They were happy to talk to me about it and I was happy to set them straight. No need for hurt feelings on either side.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

spanannie
11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
All Pre-K classes at my children's school do this same thing, but the children come up with their Native American names. I forget what name he chose last year, but, this year, he came up with "Blowing Bluebonnet." I think the names are best when the children come up with them themselves :-) I don't find this offensive at all and am glad that my children's school teaches them about different cultures.

fivi2
11-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't think that anyone is saying that the school is intending to be offensive. There was a big thread about this on another board. I am sure I won't do a good job of explaining. But basically, it is inaccurate to say it is about "Native Americans" and what they all do. There are many many Native American cultures. Some had naming ceremonies/traditions and some did not. Lumping them all together gives children an inaccurate and stereotypical view of cultures that are still around. It would be like mixing French, German, Italian, etc traditions and customs and saying this is what all Europeans do.

Also, for those cultures that do have naming traditions, in many it is a sacred religious event that is not meant for outsiders. Can you imagine a teacher dressing up as a priest (a teacher who is not a priest) and baptising everyone or presiding over communion? Some may consider it on par with that - basically trampling over a sacred custom.

I am not an expert on this issue and I don't mean to imply that anyone is trying to be hurtful. I am only repeating what I have heard elsewhere. But I think there are ways that young children can be given age appropriate information that is true and respectful.

KBecks
11-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Good comments, although I wonder about how much accuracy we should expect from preschool. My son's 2 year old class has a song where a shark is eaten by a whale -- OK, whales don't eat sharks and it bugs me, but.... I figure this info will be corrected later at a more apporpriate age level.

For the time being, although it bugs ME, I have not complained to the teacher about the inaccuracy of the song. And I'm sure she knows that whales don't eat sharks. It's just a cute song, kind of like this is a cute activity and later the kids will learn more accurate details about Native American populations.

I guess that's where I'm at with it. I don't love the activity, but I can live with it.

katydid1971
11-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Very well put. When we say "Native Americans use names like 'Rises with the sun'" we are stereo typing the whole very diverse culture and these names have very deep meaning to them. It is not respectful to the culture. It would be fine to teach that some of the plains tribes had ceremonies like this but actually giving the names disrespects that culture.
Sarah

maestramommy
11-10-2007, 12:40 AM
If that is the case, then the term "Native Americans" shouldn't be used. You could rarely refer to them as an entire group because there are too many differences. We would have to say Navajo American, or Cheyenne American, etc.

american_mama
11-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Daniella:

As you say, I too do not know if this idea of "Runs with Deer" as a type of Native American name is true. That is exactly why it is a stereotype to copy a so-called tradition when I don't even know how accurate it is. Even if this kind of naming tradition exists in some Native American tribes, which it probably does, do I know what happens in that culture to select a name that, to me, sounds "Indian"? I for one do not. For instance, are these names picked based on relatives, parent's preference, the natural environment when the child was born, divine inspiration, etc.? I don't know. Can the preschool teacher, children, or parents answer any of these questions?

If not, while it may seem a fun or harmless exercise to some, even to some Native Americans, I fail to see how the project can be considered educational if it based on assumption and stereotype.

Naming traditions are highly personal and cultural all over the world, and, like religion and race, are topics that deserve great sensitivity. Sensitive topics deserve even more sensitivity when they are about a group, like Native Americans, that have historically been exploited and/or misunderstood. This is Respect 101, in my opinion, not political correctness run amok.

consider these alternate ideas. Children learn about and see photos of beadwork from different tribes and then make their own similar "Indian" beadwork. Children learn about the names and characteristics of different tribes, then vote on which tribe best represents their class. Ask someone from a local tribe to talk to the school about naming traditions, and use that to inform the children's name-picking. All of these seem like more respectful, informed options to me.

I am not Native American nor knowledgeable about the different tribes, but it doesn't stop me from saying I think this naming project is a bad idea.

katydid1971
11-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Actually, Native American is more like saying European or Asain.

KBecks
11-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Great and thoughtful post, thanks for sharing your views!

MartiesMom2B
11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
When I was in college I took a course on Native Americans that was taught by an Eastern Cherokee medicine woman. Guess what our first assignment was? To give ourselves Native American names. I picked Rising Phoenix, since my chinese name translates to Phoenix, and asked if that was appropriate and she said it was. Many of the other names were names such as Running Bear and others. After taking this course and hearing about the many injustices towards Native Americans, I don't think that she would've had us pick Native American names if it was offensive.

-Sonia
Mommy to the M&M girls

hardysmom
11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
My house is on the Osage Reservation land in NE Oklahoma (which means Red Man's Land, BTW). Here, almost everyone seems to claim at least some native blood... Our state's history is so closely tied to the history of both indiginous and relocated tribes that it is inescapable. Maybe because we have a critical mass of integrated, diverse tribes things are different.

Outside of academic/theoretical arguments (mostly by non-native poeple) I don't know anyone who would be offended by this preschool assignment. Sounds more like a class of very young kids learning that there ARE other cultures in a fun way.

When I was a kid, I was in a YMCA program called Indian Princesses which was/is a father-daughter group... We all had to make up names. Several of the kids in my group were full native and I don't remember anyone thinking it was anything but fun and sweet, even as we acknowledged it was stereotypical.

I also don't remember anyone being very particular about picking names in their actual lanaguage or representitive of their specific tribe, though most of us had some connection to a particular tribe/tribes.

At least here, there are bigger issues.

Stephanie

michellep
11-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I guess what seems different between your example and the OP's is that the parents are thinking of the names. In the class presumably they would discuss the traditions behind the names, and while I realize that this might be hard for a preschooler to grasp, if they don't get it doesn't it just become a caricature of the culture in some ways?

So I would be absolutely fine with a preschool class discussing the way different tribes choose names and then having the kids choose their own names or thinking of names for each other with the teacher's help. But having the parents come up with the names outside of this process makes it seem less like a learning exercise, and more about what the parents think Native American names are. You were able to ask your teacher if your chosen name was appropriate, and I guess I would just have the same question as a parent being asked to name my child in this way since I'd be basing it on what I've learned about Native American naming in pop culture--picking something that sounds like Dancing with Wolves.

-M

TaChapm
11-10-2007, 06:39 PM
I am 1/16 Potawatomi Indian and my children are 1/32. I have been trying to learn more about the culture and the ceremonies so that I am able to teach my children more about it. It is very interesting to see how they are so tied to their cultural beleifs and customs. They have regional gatherings where they will do a naming ceremony for the children and it is something I would love to do but we have not yet done. That being said I would never dream of taking offense to this going on at a preschool and I am quite certain that no member of our family would either. I actually think it is a good way for children to learn more about the Native American culture and make it fun for them. I think there are a lot more things in this world to get upset over.

Hope your DC have a lot of fun doing this!

:)

Tara
http://lilypie.com/pic/070612/X6DW.jpg http://b5.lilypie.com/IwLRm5/.png

http://lilypie.com/pic/070612/Wd24.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/0pI0m5/.png

http://lilypie.com/pic/070822/Zysn.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/B5tom5/.png

maestramommy
11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
yes, I know :-). But that's my point. Why do we cluster together huge groups of people when they have distinctly different cultures?

JoyNChrist
11-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Just wanted to say that my dad is 3/4 Cherokee (my paternal grandfather was 100% Cherokee, his wife half Cherokee, half Scandanavian), so I grew up learning a lot about our tribe's heritage, customs, religious beliefs, etc. I don't find this offensive at all, especially not coming from a preschool classroom. I'm actually impressed that students so young are being taught about cultures different from their own, and that it's being done in a way that is fun and interesting to them. I cannot tell you how shocked I am that, even today, many of my peers know little to nothing about the different Native American tribes and their contributions to our nation. It's a subject that is still pitifully neglected in our society, and I can only take it as a good sign that it's being introduced at the preschool level, and hope that it continues to be explored throughout your child's education.

Many of the PP are right - many tribes did not use these types of names, those who did had different ways of choosing them, etc. So this activity is not 100% accurate, nor do I think it's necessarily the best way to educate students about Native Americans, but offensive? I think not. It's cute, and it sounds like something the students will enjoy. If it sparks their interest, maybe they'll choose to further investigate the different Native American cultures in the future and become well-informed about them. That's my hope, and I can only imagine that this is the teacher's goal for the exercise.

DS (although my father did give him an "Indian" nickname) would be Laughing Monkey (we already call him Monkey a lot) or Busy Squirrel.

Oh, I wanted to add that I really do appreciate those who posted wondering if this is an offensive topic. While I don't personally think it is, it's nice that people are worried about being offensive, because very few people even think about it (don't get me started about Native American mascots, for one thing). :-)

Melanie
11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Dd is easy: Runs Like Wind!! LOL.

Ds is harder, hmm...Laughs like Hyena. ;) Or Runs Like Thunder? (he's going through a LOUD phase right now, if you can't tell.)

Fun Thread, sorry some are taking offense but I'm glad to see those who are actually of Native American descent are not and seem to see it in a better light.

Nooknookmom
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm an 8th Cherokee. My girls a 16th. I'm not offended.

in fact both of their names should've been:

"clings like velcro"

Both of them have Indian names as well. :)