PDA

View Full Version : How soon for a mini-vacation after giving birth?

wolverine2
11-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I can't remember how soon after giving birth I felt like being out and about a little. DS #2 is due early/mid December, and my secretary has offered to loan us her ski condo a few weeks later (baby would be around 4 weeks old probably). MIL will be around, and I would love to go somewhere so she's not so much in "my" space. :) It's a 3 1/2-hr drive from home, and I wouldn't necessarily plan on doing much but vegging in front of the fireplace and hanging out at the pool (prob no skiing for me). I think DS would have fun in the snow, and it might entertain MIL as well. Does this sound reasonable?

I also have friends getting together in Mexico when DS #2 would be 7 weeks. I so want to go, but I think that's a different concern, and I'm leaning toward not going then.

Thanks!

bubbaray
11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
It really depends on your birth experience, your PP health, your baby's PP health.... IMO, you won't know until you've had the baby.

If you end up with a c/s, you probably won't feel too much like driving 3.5 hours @ 4wPP. I've had 2 c/s (one emergency, one scheduled) and would have been pretty grumpy sitting for that long at a month PP. I definitely wouldn't have been skiing at that point.

No way in h-e double hockey sticks would I go to Mexico with an infant. We've travelled there many times and every single time, no matter how careful DH and I are with drinking only bottled water, one of us ALWAYS gets sick -- REALLY sick, as in Imodium ain't gonna help. I wouldn't risk that with an infant, even if BFg and particularly not with formula. I wouldn't even go there with just DD#1 (age 3.5). We probably won't go anywhere with sketchy water until the children are much older. Dehydration from vomitting is a serious risk for little ones.

JMHO.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

tylersmama
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
We went to Montana for a low-key vacation with friends when DS was 4.5 weeks old (he was supposed to be 6 weeks but was not punctual at all!). It was actually really nice. We had three couples and a single guy friend, a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and a newborn. We rented a house and mostly just relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. I felt kind of guilty because nobody would let me help out with fixing meals or cleaning up, but it was nice to be somewhere where I didn't have to worry about all the little things you have to take care of when you're home. All I had to do was take care of DS. I say go for it!

Jen841
11-08-2007, 05:57 PM
honey you are talking to the person who traveled 10+ hour car ride with a 2 week old baby to attend my brother's wedding... and many random other trips after E's birth (c-section). A change of scenery is just what the Dr orders! I have a hard time sitting still, so seeing another set of 4 walls and riding in the car was very refreshing.

scoop22
11-08-2007, 07:30 PM
we had an unexpected trip when ds was 1 1/2 weeks old. luckily we had to go near where my parents lived and we made a small vacation out of it. i agree with a pp. it would depend on your health and the babies.. but if that is fine i would say have fun!!! i enjoyed my time away.ds slept like a champ in a hotel!!

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/WtLfm4.png