PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about bare minerals makeup

LarsMal
11-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I kind of remember seeing a post or two about this in the past, but I'm horrible at searches here!

Just wondering if anyone out there uses/has used Bare Minerals makeup. Is it all it's cracked up to be? I have very sensitive skin, and with my new weird skin issues that I've developed on my face over the past several months, I'm looking to try something new. I HATE wearing foundation. I have never needed it before so I only have concealer and powder for touch-ups, but now I need more coverage for the chronis redness on my face. I wan't something light and healthy- which Bare Minerals claims to be.

So...is it worth it? They have a pretty good TV offer going on their website right now. Trying to decided if I want to treat myself to an early Christmas present!

Any input?

supercalifragilous
11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Some people have issues with the bismuth in BE - makes their skin crawl. Also, the cornstarch in the BE Mineral Veil makes some people itchy as well.

I personally don't have any problems with BE except for the price - there are so many other mineral makeup (MMU) brands out there that are just as good and don't contain the bismuth.

There have been some posts here in the past for free sample packs from Everyday Minerals and Signature Minerals but there are many more out there.

I just got an e-mail from J Lynne and she's having 20% off her sample packs for colors & illuminating powders. Her samples come in sample jars (vs. baggies) so they're easier to use.

http://www.jlynnecosmetics.com/news-specials.html

clc053103
11-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I love it- I have rosacea, but haven't seen any evidence of it since using Bare Minerals. I don't think it's that expensive at all- because the containers last me forever.

Also- check QVC.com b/c sometimes they have really nice, discounted kits!

nupe
11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I like the BE, no problems for my skin and I could never wear make up before. I've been using BE since before 2003. I recommend trying it at the BE store or sephora or ulta. I know the BE store gives samples so you could try it a few days at home to make sure you like it and the color before you purchase, as long as you have a brush that works. I like the BE kabuki brush.

Another note: I mix 2 colors to get the color I want for my face.

As for sales, check this out, a kit for $50:
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.A17187.promo.RQ3/walk.yah.6285-1214?cm_ven=APTSV&cm_cat=BAREESCENTUALS1107&cm_pla=MACT&cm_ite=A17187

Note the ounces in each container if you are checking the prices.

nupe
11-08-2007, 09:21 PM
I like the BE, no problems for my skin and I could never wear make up before. I've been using BE since before 2003. I recommend trying it at the BE store or sephora or ulta. I know the BE store gives samples so you could try it a few days at home to make sure you like it and the color before you purchase, as long as you have a brush that works. I like the BE kabuki brush.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.A17187.promo.RQ3/walk.yah.6285-1214?cm_ven=APTSV&cm_cat=BAREESCENTUALS1107&cm_pla=MACT&cm_ite=A17187

nupe
11-08-2007, 09:21 PM

val01
11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I use Everyday Minerals and have never had any problems. I am a redhead with blue eyes if that tells you anything. They are much cheaper than Bare Minerals.

Valerie

brittone2
11-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm another everydayminerals user. I"ve used BE in the past, but I prefer EDM and the price is better too. Jane Iredale, J. Lynne, Cory, Aromaleigh and Alima are a few others that come to mind.

I'm not sure how into product safety you are, etc. but the mineral veil from BM contains parabens, which is something I personally try to avoid. It is in tons of makeup, but if that's a consideration for you, it might be something you want to skip. There is also some recent concern being raised about the nano sized particles in certain mineral makeups and other cosmetic products. Some mineral makeups use nano sized particles and some don't. (my DH works on nanoparticles in chemistry research. I think the jury is still out on just how safe it is, particularly near your eyes, on broken skin, or if inhaled while applying for ex.) I believe the skin deep section over at www.ewg.org has info on it if you are curious.

I contacted EDM a while back and they said they do not use nano sized particles. I"m hoping that their info was accurate.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/nanotech.php (about sunscreens, but some mineral makeups supposedly contain nanoparticles)

http://www.thegreenguide.com/docprint.mhtml?i=116&s=powder

LarsMal
11-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info! I just ordered some sample baggies from J. Lynne to try out. I figure the fewer ingredients I use, the better. I'll email them and ask about the nanoparticles.

I'm going to go check out the links you attached, too.

-J

eb1
11-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the links. Interesting.

I tried Everyday Minerals a while ago, and though I liked the cosmetic effects very much, I became concerned that I was inhaling too much of the super fine "dust" during the application, no matter how careful I was. So I stopped using it because I just wasn't comfortable with that.

brittone2
11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I do a damp application, which helps a little bit. I dampen my brush w/ a little water and then swirl into the makeup. I'm sure it is still getting inhaled, but IMO, a little less. I like the finish of the damp application better for my skin anyway.

bubbaray
11-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I prefer Pur Minerals. It seems less dusty (it is a pressed powder, not loose) and easier to transport.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

karolyp
11-09-2007, 05:29 PM
ITA - I prefer them over BE and EDM because of the mess factor, and that you can apply it with a sponge and take it with you for touchup's during the day.

To the OP, if you decide to give BE or Pur a try, I would suggest buying at Sephora or Ulta first. That way you can return it if you don't like it. Good luck and I hth!

supercalifragilous
11-09-2007, 06:53 PM
If you DO decide to go with Bare Escentuals/Bare Minerals, don't forget Sephora is having their F&F sale - I think the code FF2007 doesn't expire until 11/21 but don't quote me on that. You could use that for the kit.

supercalifragilous
11-09-2007, 06:58 PM
You just have to pay shipping:

www.elegantminerals.com/kitsample.html

www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=kits

www.signatureminerals.com/free-samples.html

http://www.oceanmistcosmetics.com/index.php?p=product&id=151&parent=6

LarsMal
11-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Just thought I'd share the response I got from J. Lynne about nano-sized particles. I *guess* it's safe! I'm going to give it a try and see how I like it. I'll keep you posted!

I have noticed a trend recently with some newer mineral makeup companies that are using ultra-micronized versions of TD and ZO in their products, claiming that it gives the products a lighter, silkier feel because the ingredients are so ultra-finely milled. Although a definite danger in using these products hasn't been proven 100%, I personally am not comfortable in using ultra-micronized minerals in our products -- not only because of the perceived dangers, but because nano-particle powders are so light that they're easily airborne and you're much more likely to inhale powders created with ultra-micronized ingredients rather than standard mineral ingredients.

Essentially, most cosmetic-grade titanium dioxide and zinc oxides are micronized to some degree for better absorption into liquids (if used in a liquid/crème formula) as well as for better blending in dry powder formulas. Unfortunately I cannot release the ingredient specifics (such as particle size) of our products because this is proprietary information, but we do not use microfine, ultra-micronized, or nano-particle size versions of Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide. Ours is FDA-approved for use in cosmetic products and is a standard size that has not been extra milled for application purposes.