PDA

View Full Version : Shoot- basically no chance of getting a spot at the good charter school :(

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I do have one option- having ds repeat kindergarten. 1st grade spots are only going to be available if some enrollment drops (which it never does). It is done via lottery.

Now, if I get the application in I have a much better chance of a kindergarten spot b/c there are about 32 spaces opposed to maybe 2.

But, his teachers and school director think he should do 1st grade (they basically said that it would be a mistake to have him repeat kindergarten based on his cognitive skills).

I want him to do 1st...but this is really the best school option for us. It is free, it is really good, they have great class sizes, I love their teaching style and learning philosophy...it is like the $12,000/ year private schools when compared with the crappy public school.

Should I just have him redo kindergarten? Or just look for another school? I have our application in and I will keep out fingers crossed on a spot but I just think it is a very long shot at best. I don't want other ships to sail while we wait for this one. :(

Very sad. I wish that I had visited them last year in the fall and got him in then. I just had no idea it was so popular!!!

Any advice? It's ok if you don't. I wasn't sure if this was more of a bitch, whine or a place where there could be some words of wisdom. :)

Beth

new_mommy25
11-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I really don't think there is any harm of DS repeating kindergarten. Especially since it is at a different school so the curicculum won't be exactly the same. If this is the school you want and you forsee DS speding the next 6 years there I say go for it.

FTR, we are also probably going to have DS repeat kindergarten. Because of his late birthday he is too young to go to the two private schools we are looking in to. But he can go to public school kindergarten. So we will probably do that next year and the following year we will apply for the private K's.

Tondi G
11-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't know that repeating Kindergarten will be the best choice.... you don't want your DS to be bored and goofing off cause he is ahead of all the kids in his class!

Never say never cause my DS was on a waiting list for a charter school and transferred in 3 months into the school year. We had such high hopes for it too and it was not the right school for our DS and we regretted making the switch! People DO leave Charter Schools sometimes..... they move, or don't like the curriculum for whatever reason or they get into another school they were waiting for!

Can he go on both lists??? For Kindy and stay on the waiting list for 1st grade?

Good Luck

~Tondi

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2007, 10:37 PM
>I don't know that repeating Kindergarten will be the best
>choice.... you don't want your DS to be bored and goofing off
>cause he is ahead of all the kids in his class!

That was the exact concern his teachers have. They say it would be a huge mistake for my little guy to repeat if he has mastered the material.

>
>Never say never cause my DS was on a waiting list for a
>charter school and transferred in 3 months into the school
>year. We had such high hopes for it too and it was not the
>right school for our DS and we regretted making the switch!
>People DO leave Charter Schools sometimes..... they move, or
>don't like the curriculum for whatever reason or they get into
>another school they were waiting for!
>
>Can he go on both lists??? For Kindy and stay on the waiting
>list for 1st grade?
>
>Good Luck
>
>~Tondi

Very good point about it not being the best fit. So far it seems to be the best fit of the available choices but I know things could change. I'll see what his teachers think about the k list.

I wish our public school didn't suck so much. :(

Thanks!!

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2007, 10:41 PM
We found the same scenario last year when looking for private kindergarten. They said all their boys would be 6 and ds is only 5. So, we picked his current school b/c it is an accredited kindergarten and he can go to 1st if we want.

I am declaring an end to paying for private school tuition. :) I sure loved a few of them though. If we go that route I hope that they help make the choice for us on where he would fit at the school.

Thanks for your thoughts!! It is good to keep in mind that it will be a long term school so I shouldn't give up on my options yet.

Beth