PDA

View Full Version : Met with surgeon about breast reduction: update and questions

JustMe
11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently posted that I was going to move forward in trying to get a breast reduction. I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon today.

Overall, I was very impressed with him. He said there should be no problem with my insurance covering it as it is medically necessary. He said I win the prize for having the longest breasts he has seen (and he does this procedure a lot). Lucky me. I met with the person who does the legwork. She expects it will cost me about $750 out of pocket. The surgeon strongly recommended I have additional cosmetic work done, which would not be covered, but which would liposuction the sides once the reduction is done. He said if I don't do that I will have balls of excess fat on the side and insurance won't cover it because it is cosmetic. If anyone who has btdt has any experience/knowledge about this I would love to hear it. This would be an additional $1400, which is a lot of money to me but I would hate to regret not getting this done.

They think it will take a few weeks for them to get pre-authorization from my insurance complany, and then they have a few openings for surgery in Dec and a lot more starting in Jan. I am talking with my sister, as she said she would fly here to help me out with dd when I have surgery, so we are coordinating about when would be a good time. I am thinking I may do it in Feb. My sister already has booked a ticket to come, as that's when dd's birthday is...so I am thinking maybe have dd's party and do surgery the week after that.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions, advice, is welcome. Positive thoughts are definitely welcome!

Robyn

MaiseyDog
11-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Don't have any BTDT advise about the liposuction. I had my reduction 11 years ago and it wasn't mentioned to me at that time, but I know several people that have had it done in conjunction with their reductions. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you congrats on moving forward with this. I have always said that my reduction was one of the best things I have every done for myself. Good luck and I hope you have an easy recovery.

Margaret

Sillygirl
11-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Robyn, I missed your first post. Just wanted you to make sure that you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon. The fact that he does the proecdures a lot is good, but board certification makes a big difference. I haven't scrubbed in to an OR since medical school, but technically, I have a license to practice medicine and surgery. There's nothing stopping me from setting up an outpatient surgical suite and cutting to the chase, so to speak. Cosmetic surgery is very lucrative so there are many people trying to get in on it. Find someone with the appropriate training. Good luck!

JustMe
11-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Katie,

Thanks for making this point. He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons, and is also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and a few other groups I don't remember right now. Is that who he is supposed to be certified by?

Robyn

Sillygirl
11-10-2007, 07:43 AM
yep.

val01
11-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Robyn- I had the lipo done on both sides under my arms. Insurance did pay for it. I think that it's how it's submitted. I think they paid since it was necessary to make it "right".

Valerie

trumansmom
11-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Could he show you pictures of breast that have and hadn't had the liposuction? I would be really interested in seeing what the difference was.

And may I say once again how freaking jealous I am of you?!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Fairy
11-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Count me in as also jealous. And very happy for you. I'd do whatever's necessary, and looking at the pix is a good indicator of that. I haven't BTDT, but this is a surgery that I'm planning on sometime in my early 40's. My rule of thumb is going to be not to leave out something that might not be covered if it proves necessary. From what you describe, sounds to me like the lipo on the sides is necessary. Wonder if you can speak with the insurance company and understand why they feel it's cosmetic and not part of the overall "breast reduction" as a unit. In any event, please check back and let us all know how it went! -- Hil

Fairy
11-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Count me in as also jealous. And very happy for you. I'd do whatever's necessary, and looking at the pix is a good indicator of that. I haven't BTDT, but this is a surgery that I'm planning on sometime in my early 40's. My rule of thumb is going to be not to leave out something that might not be covered if it proves necessary. From what you describe, sounds to me like the lipo on the sides is necessary. Wonder if you can speak with the insurance company and understand why they feel it's cosmetic and not part of the overall "breast reduction" as a unit. In any event, please check back and let us all know how it went! -- Hil

JustMe
11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the support everyone. Great idea to ask to see pics with the lipo and without.

Interesting that your insurance convered this, Val. The surgeon just told me during the consulation, before they even tried for pre-auth, that the lipo part would not be covered as it was considered cosmetic and not necessary. Hmmn, maybe I should ask the office to try. On the other hand, I think they have lots of experience getting approval. Then again, wouldn't hurt to ask...hmmmn.

Am looking forward to several months after the surgery, but definitely not looking forward to the days and even weeks after.

JustMe
11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the support everyone. Great idea to ask to see pics with the lipo and without.

Interesting that your insurance convered this, Val. The surgeon just told me during the consulation, before they even tried for pre-auth, that the lipo part would not be covered as it was considered cosmetic and not necessary. Hmmn, maybe I should ask the office to try. On the other hand, I think they have lots of experience getting approval. Then again, wouldn't hurt to ask...hmmmn.

Am looking forward to several months after the surgery, but definitely not looking forward to the days and even weeks after.

trumansmom
11-11-2007, 06:29 PM
How long did they say the recovery period would be? Just curious. I'm still a year or so out from having it done, but I'm already planning away!

Jeanne

trumansmom
11-11-2007, 06:29 PM
How long did they say the recovery period would be? Just curious. I'm still a year or so out from having it done, but I'm already planning away!

Jeanne

JustMe
11-12-2007, 12:15 AM
The surgeon said I would need to take a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 3 weeks off of work. I didn't really get a good idea of when I'd be completely recovered of what I still might not be able to do after 3 weeks. I have found some forums devoted to this topic, and recovery seems to vary SO much by the person. Some feel okay after only a few days and others seem to take as long as a month.

Robyn

JustMe
11-12-2007, 12:15 AM
The surgeon said I would need to take a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 3 weeks off of work. I didn't really get a good idea of when I'd be completely recovered of what I still might not be able to do after 3 weeks. I have found some forums devoted to this topic, and recovery seems to vary SO much by the person. Some feel okay after only a few days and others seem to take as long as a month.

Robyn