PDA

View Full Version : Gift for a new teacher-

mapg
11-10-2007, 03:51 PM
My niece has finished her practice teaching and will start a new job next semester. I know there are some teachers on this board, what would you have liked to have had for your classroom. I'm thinking about a gift certificate to buy books or other stuff she might need. Or are there any other ideas?

nfowife
11-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I think a gift cert. to a barnes/noble or local teacher store would be very much appreciated!

overcome
11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't know what grade she will be teaching, but she might like a subscription to Mailbox Magazine....great idea mag for teachers with lots of reproducibles. They have different versions for different grade levels.

HTH
http://tinyurl.com/2pkaam

bubbaray
11-10-2007, 05:47 PM
GC to Staples? IIRC, they give teachers discounts.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

mapg
11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Does Staples have a lot of teacher type stuff? I've never been in one. Do any of the bookstores have a teacher discount?

bubbaray
11-10-2007, 09:21 PM
They usually have a lot of pre-made posters, maps, stuff for the walls. They have some workbooks, not sure if htey would give her ideas or not. Supplies, obviously.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

MamaMolly
11-11-2007, 12:20 AM
If she is just starting out in the job world, she may need appropriate 'teacher clothes'. When I taught school, I loved Talbots for thier quality, wshability and that certain style that screams teacher. Maybe a gift cert for there?

And I like the Mailbox Magazine idea. Nice to have for the classroom, once she knows what grade she'll be in.

I also loved Discount School Supply. Do they have gift certs? I tried the 800 number but it is closed for the weekend.

You are a sweet Aunt to think of her!
Molly

MamaMolly
11-11-2007, 12:20 AM
If she is just starting out in the job world, she may need appropriate 'teacher clothes'. When I taught school, I loved Talbots for thier quality, wshability and that certain style that screams teacher. Maybe a gift cert for there?

And I like the Mailbox Magazine idea. Nice to have for the classroom, once she knows what grade she'll be in.

I also loved Discount School Supply. Do they have gift certs? I tried the 800 number but it is closed for the weekend.

You are a sweet Aunt to think of her!
Molly

mapg
11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
This kid is the lucky position of having whatever she has needed, and most of what she has wanted. I joked to my brother in law that he had just gotten a raise. I want to give something that she'll remember what it was, rather than just cash. So that was why I was thinking of books for the classroom. Does Scholastic offer teachers any breaks? Or is B&N the best place to look? The only other thing I was thinking of was the LLBean Weather Channel jacket. She loves the WC jacket and has never bought one because it seemed silly to her mother. (My sister never bought coats for some reason.) so I've wondered about for recess duty? Thanks everybody!
MA

mapg
11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
This kid is the lucky position of having whatever she has needed, and most of what she has wanted. I joked to my brother in law that he had just gotten a raise. I want to give something that she'll remember what it was, rather than just cash. So that was why I was thinking of books for the classroom. Does Scholastic offer teachers any breaks? Or is B&N the best place to look? The only other thing I was thinking of was the LLBean Weather Channel jacket. She loves the WC jacket and has never bought one because it seemed silly to her mother. (My sister never bought coats for some reason.) so I've wondered about for recess duty? Thanks everybody!
MA

nfowife
11-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, if not a gift certificate, then I'd do something like the jacket (though many schools don't have recess duty!). Or something like the boat tote bag with her name on it (teacher name, Ms. xyz or whatever), to put her stuff in for back and forth.

nfowife
11-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, if not a gift certificate, then I'd do something like the jacket (though many schools don't have recess duty!). Or something like the boat tote bag with her name on it (teacher name, Ms. xyz or whatever), to put her stuff in for back and forth.