PDA

View Full Version : Moving and continuing EI

maestramommy
11-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Dh is starting his job search process. If he jumps in now, we could conceivably move as early as the end of January. However, this means an interruption in Dora's speech therapy. I talked to her therapist about it, and she said what she would do is write a formal report for us so that when we get to the new state we can go to their regional center. However, Dh and I are concerned about the move for two reasons 2) Dora has bonded with her therapist, and doing really well. It took a while, and I know that if we move she will have to start that process all over again. 2) I don't know how long of an interruption of her therapy we could except when the move happens. Dora turns 3 next October, and in our area, the services continue through the end of the birthday month. The speech therapist said yesterday that she is doing very well, and she sees her continuing to move in an upward fashion. Dora now says "up" very clearly, and says the ends of words like book and milk. She's saying many more consonant sounds, but only says open vowels, no e's. In the last month she's also started that kind of babbling, where it sounds like they're saying something but you can't understand any of it. We were told all kids go through that stage, just most do it much earlier.

I was wondering if any of you had to move while your dc was receiving EI services. Did you experience a long interruption in services? Did your dc have to get re-evaluated? Did your dc have have trouble bonding with the new therapist? We are expecting to move to the New England area, possibly MA or NH. Thanks!

nov04
11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
We've moved twice since dd was born. A very frustrating process until I took a Hanen course. It gave me so much information about how to teach dd myself.

I'm not sure how EI works where you are, but it sounds quite intensive. Here, the SLP teaches the parents to teach the kids and we also do speech-centred playgroups. We've also done a few video-taped sessions where parent-child interactions are monitored, then the SLP gives the parent pointers to improve at home.

We've always had to start at bottom of the list for services to start. Our previous place has always sent reports to the new one although they always add their own stuff because no 2 regions do things the same. The new place may assume things that didn't happen in your old state. Document everything and ask tons of questions.

GL

MamaKath
11-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Don't know specifically about NH or MA EI services. So definitely see if the state you move to will service a) after the age of 3, b) only if your child attends public school, c) what private services are available if you should need them. My ds just got cut from his EI services where we live because of age and private school vs public. We ended up searching out private services which are covered by health insurance. He needs OT, not speech though.

It has been a challenge because they reevlatuated him. Not bad overall, private is looking at his entire life a little more where the EI service through the state mainly looked at how to help him be most successful in a school setting. The bonding part has been more of a challenge. He is overly sensetive to change in routine and important people. Since he has started a new school year with new teachers he is on edge to begin with, add in new therapists and locations, new activities and routines. While I know eventually it will work out, it is very frustrating to be in the middle of.

We tried doing our own stuff with him for a bit since in summer we travel and life is crazy, and it helped to a point. We did get to the point though that we realized he NEEDED to continue the OT. It helped dh also to recognize the need for it more. We finally found the group we are using and are pleased, but it is definitely a process.

Good luck to you as dh goes for a new job. Definitely a time that can be challenging, but hopefully provide a better future for your family! My prayers are with you...

MamaKath
11-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Don't know specifically about NH or MA EI services. So definitely see if the state you move to will service a) after the age of 3, b) only if your child attends public school, c) what private services are available if you should need them. My ds just got cut from his EI services where we live because of age and private school vs public. We ended up searching out private services which are covered by health insurance. He needs OT, not speech though.

It has been a challenge because they reevlatuated him. Not bad overall, private is looking at his entire life a little more where the EI service through the state mainly looked at how to help him be most successful in a school setting. The bonding part has been more of a challenge. He is overly sensetive to change in routine and important people. Since he has started a new school year with new teachers he is on edge to begin with, add in new therapists and locations, new activities and routines. While I know eventually it will work out, it is very frustrating to be in the middle of.

We tried doing our own stuff with him for a bit since in summer we travel and life is crazy, and it helped to a point. We did get to the point though that we realized he NEEDED to continue the OT. It helped dh also to recognize the need for it more. We finally found the group we are using and are pleased, but it is definitely a process.

Good luck to you as dh goes for a new job. Definitely a time that can be challenging, but hopefully provide a better future for your family! My prayers are with you...