PDA

View Full Version : 1st yr vacs next weeks and I have a questions...

mykidsmom
11-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Please do not move to another forum as I need so fast advice from this busy section of the boards...thanks!

If you delayed the 1 yr vacs (MMR) can you share how you spaced/delayed them? I have tried to find some recommendations but am overwhelmed by all the info out there. DD is due in a week for her 1st yr shots and with all the hype out there about vacs, I figure it can't hurt to delay or space them.

mykidsmom
11-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Please do not move to another forum as I need so fast advice from this busy section of the boards...thanks!

If you delayed the 1 yr vacs (MMR) can you share how you spaced/delayed them? I have tried to find some recommendations but am overwhelmed by all the info out there. DD is due in a week for her 1st yr shots and with all the hype out there about vacs, I figure it can't hurt to delay or space them.

KrisM
11-11-2007, 12:21 AM
DS got his mumps shot at about 2.75 and his measles shot at 3.25. He'll get his rubella shot in a few months. He hasn't had chicken pox vax yet either.

DD hasn't had either MMR or CP and will likely get the mumps shot at 18-20 months, assuming it's all in stock when I order them.

We do our own schedule, mostly because I don't think a baby needs 7-9 injections all at once (when you add up all the things in the combined vaxes). I limit to no more than 2 pokes in one visit and no more than 3 vaxes in one visit (DTaP is the only 3 we get).

Good luck.

KrisM
11-11-2007, 12:21 AM
DS got his mumps shot at about 2.75 and his measles shot at 3.25. He'll get his rubella shot in a few months. He hasn't had chicken pox vax yet either.

DD hasn't had either MMR or CP and will likely get the mumps shot at 18-20 months, assuming it's all in stock when I order them.

We do our own schedule, mostly because I don't think a baby needs 7-9 injections all at once (when you add up all the things in the combined vaxes). I limit to no more than 2 pokes in one visit and no more than 3 vaxes in one visit (DTaP is the only 3 we get).

Good luck.

wencit
11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
DS got his measles shot at 15 months, and will get rubella at 27 months, and then mumps a year after rubella. I followed the recommendations of Dr. Stephanie Cave from her book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations."

wencit
11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
DS got his measles shot at 15 months, and will get rubella at 27 months, and then mumps a year after rubella. I followed the recommendations of Dr. Stephanie Cave from her book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations."

o_mom
11-11-2007, 10:01 AM
At the very least, wait until 15 months on the MMR. It is more effective at that point - it is in the package insert. Be alert that many peds now offer only the MMRV which has Chicken Pox also. If you are waiting on chicken pox double check what they offer.

Don't hesitate to tell them that you want to wait and research it more. You can always give them later, but you can never take it back.

I am leaning toward waiting until at least 2 with DS3 and then checking titers before giving a booster.

o_mom
11-11-2007, 10:01 AM
At the very least, wait until 15 months on the MMR. It is more effective at that point - it is in the package insert. Be alert that many peds now offer only the MMRV which has Chicken Pox also. If you are waiting on chicken pox double check what they offer.

Don't hesitate to tell them that you want to wait and research it more. You can always give them later, but you can never take it back.

I am leaning toward waiting until at least 2 with DS3 and then checking titers before giving a booster.

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2007, 10:42 AM
"Don't hesitate to tell them that you want to wait and research it more. You can always give them later, but you can never take it back."

That's been my strategy for a while now. My ped never questions that.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2007, 10:42 AM
"Don't hesitate to tell them that you want to wait and research it more. You can always give them later, but you can never take it back."

That's been my strategy for a while now. My ped never questions that.

Beth

nfowife
11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I couldn't separate them, but I did delay MMR until DD's 2 year appt. My ped had no problem with that.

nfowife
11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I couldn't separate them, but I did delay MMR until DD's 2 year appt. My ped had no problem with that.

gatorruth
11-11-2007, 02:32 PM
My rule is 2 vacs MAX per appointment. As far as MMR goes, You CAN get them separated. Hopewell Pharmacy 609-466-1960 sells them generally. Right now, they are not in stock and Merck won't give them an ETA. Your ped has to write an rx for them and fax it in.

DD is 20 mos and hasn't had any of the m m or the r yet. no rush... she'll get them according to the Cave book as pp mentioned.

Good luck!

gatorruth
11-11-2007, 02:32 PM
My rule is 2 vacs MAX per appointment. As far as MMR goes, You CAN get them separated. Hopewell Pharmacy 609-466-1960 sells them generally. Right now, they are not in stock and Merck won't give them an ETA. Your ped has to write an rx for them and fax it in.

DD is 20 mos and hasn't had any of the m m or the r yet. no rush... she'll get them according to the Cave book as pp mentioned.

Good luck!

ett
11-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Do you know how long the separate MMR shots have been around? Is it as effective as the combined? We have not decided what to do with DS2 in terms of the MMR shot - whether to get the separated ones or just delay the combined. My husband is concerned that the separate shots may not be as effective or have other side effects, if they have not been around as long as the combined.

ett
11-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Do you know how long the separate MMR shots have been around? Is it as effective as the combined? We have not decided what to do with DS2 in terms of the MMR shot - whether to get the separated ones or just delay the combined. My husband is concerned that the separate shots may not be as effective or have other side effects, if they have not been around as long as the combined.

billysmommy
11-11-2007, 10:08 PM
We seperated out the MMR components ~ Benjamin just got his 1st one (measles) last week at 18 months. We are going to do mumps next in about 2 months and then rubella a few months after that.

I had wanted to do the measles one last but our ped really wanted us to do the measles first as there was an outbreak of measles in downtown Boston in the last year and DH and I work in healthcare and our office is in very close proximity to Boston ~ After listening to her rationale I totally agreed and so we did the measles first. She's wonderful about listening to us and seperating the vaxes out, no more than 1 per visit, etc and if she disagrees or wants to do something differently we discuss it and come to an agreement that works for everyone.

billysmommy
11-11-2007, 10:08 PM
We seperated out the MMR components ~ Benjamin just got his 1st one (measles) last week at 18 months. We are going to do mumps next in about 2 months and then rubella a few months after that.

I had wanted to do the measles one last but our ped really wanted us to do the measles first as there was an outbreak of measles in downtown Boston in the last year and DH and I work in healthcare and our office is in very close proximity to Boston ~ After listening to her rationale I totally agreed and so we did the measles first. She's wonderful about listening to us and seperating the vaxes out, no more than 1 per visit, etc and if she disagrees or wants to do something differently we discuss it and come to an agreement that works for everyone.

mykidsmom
11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I am not planning to give my own shots, but rather go back to the pediatrician at the right time to get the shots.

Thanks for all of your advice. I am feeling much more informed and appreciate you taking the time to reply!

mykidsmom
11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
I am not planning to give my own shots, but rather go back to the pediatrician at the right time to get the shots.

Thanks for all of your advice. I am feeling much more informed and appreciate you taking the time to reply!

o_mom
11-11-2007, 10:24 PM
You may have misunderstood. I don't think anyone here actually gives the shots themselves. They were just referring to ordering the separated vaccines. Most peds don't stock the separate vaccines, only the MMR or the MMRV. To get the separate ones you have to order them from the pharmacy mentioned and then take them to the pediatrician to administer them.

o_mom
11-11-2007, 10:24 PM
You may have misunderstood. I don't think anyone here actually gives the shots themselves. They were just referring to ordering the separated vaccines. Most peds don't stock the separate vaccines, only the MMR or the MMRV. To get the separate ones you have to order them from the pharmacy mentioned and then take them to the pediatrician to administer them.

neeter
11-11-2007, 11:10 PM
When you delay the vax, and have your child in daycare, do you need some sort of waiver/exemption to be on a delayed vax schedule? Thanks...

neeter
11-11-2007, 11:10 PM
When you delay the vax, and have your child in daycare, do you need some sort of waiver/exemption to be on a delayed vax schedule? Thanks...

mykidsmom
11-11-2007, 11:36 PM
>You may have misunderstood. I don't think anyone here
>actually gives the shots themselves. They were just referring
>to ordering the separated vaccines. Most peds don't stock the
>separate vaccines, only the MMR or the MMRV. To get the
>separate ones you have to order them from the pharmacy
>mentioned and then take them to the pediatrician to administer
>them.
>
>
>
>
Oh, thanks...good to know. I'll call the peds office to check how they stock them.

mykidsmom
11-11-2007, 11:36 PM
>You may have misunderstood. I don't think anyone here
>actually gives the shots themselves. They were just referring
>to ordering the separated vaccines. Most peds don't stock the
>separate vaccines, only the MMR or the MMRV. To get the
>separate ones you have to order them from the pharmacy
>mentioned and then take them to the pediatrician to administer
>them.
>
>
>
>
Oh, thanks...good to know. I'll call the peds office to check how they stock them.