PDA

View Full Version : Book club suggestions needed please...

fauve01
11-11-2007, 07:16 PM
my book club meets tomorrow night. i know a lot of you on this board are big readers. does anyone have any suggestions for next month? we usually go for fiction (although we did recently read "The Glass Castle" and "Eat Pray Love").

we always choose something that's already in paperback (i am the only one who checks out of the library--everyone else buys).

to give you an idea, here are some of the books we've read that i can think of:

Middlesex
The Glass Castle
Eat Pray Love
Prep
Water For Elephants
in the Time of the Butterflies
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Red Tent
The Kite Runner

I think I'm going to suggest "Love in the Time of Cholera" but i like to have about three suggestions in case someone has already read something.

Thanks for any ideas!
anne

fauve01
11-11-2007, 07:16 PM
my book club meets tomorrow night. i know a lot of you on this board are big readers. does anyone have any suggestions for next month? we usually go for fiction (although we did recently read "The Glass Castle" and "Eat Pray Love").

we always choose something that's already in paperback (i am the only one who checks out of the library--everyone else buys).

to give you an idea, here are some of the books we've read that i can think of:

Middlesex
The Glass Castle
Eat Pray Love
Prep
Water For Elephants
in the Time of the Butterflies
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Red Tent
The Kite Runner

I think I'm going to suggest "Love in the Time of Cholera" but i like to have about three suggestions in case someone has already read something.

Thanks for any ideas!
anne

Java
11-11-2007, 07:51 PM
What about any Jodi Picoult novels? She writes about family, relationships, and the many facets of love. How would you react in a given situation? What would your choices be? Who/what would you choose?

The two that have really stayed with me are "My Sister's Keeper" and "Mercy".

Java
11-11-2007, 07:51 PM
What about any Jodi Picoult novels? She writes about family, relationships, and the many facets of love. How would you react in a given situation? What would your choices be? Who/what would you choose?

The two that have really stayed with me are "My Sister's Keeper" and "Mercy".

cuca_
11-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Here are a few books that I really enjoyed in no particular order:

Also by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: "A Hundred Years of Solitude" and "News of a Kidnapping".
"Atonement" by Ian McEwan (He has a new novel out "Saturday" which I haven't read yet)
"Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett (She also has a new novel "Run", but I haven't read it).
"The Cider House Rules" by John Irving
"The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje
"Dared and Done: the Marriage of Elizabeth Barret and Robert Browning"

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005
and a boy due Dec 2007!

cuca_
11-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Here are a few books that I really enjoyed in no particular order:

Also by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: "A Hundred Years of Solitude" and "News of a Kidnapping".
"Atonement" by Ian McEwan (He has a new novel out "Saturday" which I haven't read yet)
"Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett (She also has a new novel "Run", but I haven't read it).
"The Cider House Rules" by John Irving
"The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje
"Dared and Done: the Marriage of Elizabeth Barret and Robert Browning"

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005
and a boy due Dec 2007!

janeybwild
11-11-2007, 08:54 PM
"The twentieth wife" is in the same vain as those you listed and great. Also a good book club book is "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" or "Cold Sassy Tree".

janeybwild
11-11-2007, 08:54 PM
"The twentieth wife" is in the same vain as those you listed and great. Also a good book club book is "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" or "Cold Sassy Tree".

katydid1971
11-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I was also going to suggest Bel Canto, I just saw it at Costco in paperback. Its a wonderful book.
Sarah

katydid1971
11-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I was also going to suggest Bel Canto, I just saw it at Costco in paperback. Its a wonderful book.
Sarah

Tracey
11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Tracey
11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

katydid1971
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Anything by Isabel Allende is great, except her last book Ines of My Soul, it can be a little too much for a lot of readers. My favorite is House of the Spirits.
Sarah

katydid1971
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Anything by Isabel Allende is great, except her last book Ines of My Soul, it can be a little too much for a lot of readers. My favorite is House of the Spirits.
Sarah

belovedgandp
11-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Only a couple...

All time favorite book club discussion is "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons" L. Landvik - a great book about a book club.

Picolt book that stuck with me the most was Sister's Keeper.

Still in hardback and not fiction, but "Kabul Beauty School" D Rodriguez was a so-so read, but great discussion.

We branched out and did a mystery about a serial killer which I loved but quite a few people in our group had some trouble with "Shadow Man" C McFadyen.

Have fun...

belovedgandp
11-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Only a couple...

All time favorite book club discussion is "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons" L. Landvik - a great book about a book club.

Picolt book that stuck with me the most was Sister's Keeper.

Still in hardback and not fiction, but "Kabul Beauty School" D Rodriguez was a so-so read, but great discussion.

We branched out and did a mystery about a serial killer which I loved but quite a few people in our group had some trouble with "Shadow Man" C McFadyen.

Have fun...

Fairy
11-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I absolutely loved "Replay." One of my all time favorite books. In the first pages, a 40-year-old man dies working at his desk. He wakes up 18 years old in his dorm room. Now page 7. Not a comedy in any respect. It's so. So. So. Good. Bob Grimwood.

Co-ed? If women, I also loved "Jemimah J" by Jane Green

Fairy
11-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I absolutely loved "Replay." One of my all time favorite books. In the first pages, a 40-year-old man dies working at his desk. He wakes up 18 years old in his dorm room. Now page 7. Not a comedy in any respect. It's so. So. So. Good. Bob Grimwood.

Co-ed? If women, I also loved "Jemimah J" by Jane Green

billysmommy
11-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I've been reading through Phillipa Gregory's books ~ she wrote The Other Boleyn Girl.

My favorite of hers was The Queen's Fool. The Virgin's Lover was really good also but continues right where The Queen's Fool leaves off so I'd read that one first.

Edited to correct book title :) oops

billysmommy
11-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I've been reading through Phillipa Gregory's books ~ she wrote The Other Boleyn Girl.

My favorite of hers was The Queen's Fool. The Virgin's Lover was really good also but continues right where The Queen's Fool leaves off so I'd read that one first.

Edited to correct book title :) oops

elizabethkott
11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Time and Again by Jack Finney
The Virgin Blue by Tracey Chevalier
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Eight by Katherine Neville

Have fun! I love book clubs! :)

elizabethkott
11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Time and Again by Jack Finney
The Virgin Blue by Tracey Chevalier
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Eight by Katherine Neville

Have fun! I love book clubs! :)

pb&j
11-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Some of my recent faves:

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Namesake
Live of Pi
The Shipping News
The Dive from Clausen's Pier
Ahab's Wife

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

pb&j
11-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Some of my recent faves:

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Namesake
Live of Pi
The Shipping News
The Dive from Clausen's Pier
Ahab's Wife

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

mama2g03
11-11-2007, 11:23 PM
We just read "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons" for our book club this month. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. We usually stick to fiction in our club, too, but did read a non-fiction I liked by and about a mother and daughter getting through the daughter's drug addiction. It was called "Come Back" by Claire and Mia Fontaine. I tend to like historical fiction or something with some thought involved and have wanted to suggest "Ahab's Wife" for our club but it is very long. Like PPs I also like Philippa Gregory.
We have one romance novel lover in the group and I always cringe when it's her turn to pick. I feel like I've wasted a couple hours of my life I'll never get back when I read those books.

mama2g03
11-11-2007, 11:23 PM
We just read "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons" for our book club this month. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. We usually stick to fiction in our club, too, but did read a non-fiction I liked by and about a mother and daughter getting through the daughter's drug addiction. It was called "Come Back" by Claire and Mia Fontaine. I tend to like historical fiction or something with some thought involved and have wanted to suggest "Ahab's Wife" for our club but it is very long. Like PPs I also like Philippa Gregory.
We have one romance novel lover in the group and I always cringe when it's her turn to pick. I feel like I've wasted a couple hours of my life I'll never get back when I read those books.

Fairy
11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Oh, another one that I could read over and over again is To Kill a Mockingbird. I know it's a classic that most of us have read in school or at least sometime in the past, it's surprising that many have not and/or can get so much out of it on repeat readings. Just a thought.

Fairy
11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Oh, another one that I could read over and over again is To Kill a Mockingbird. I know it's a classic that most of us have read in school or at least sometime in the past, it's surprising that many have not and/or can get so much out of it on repeat readings. Just a thought.

tamie
11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Ann Patchett also wrote "The Magician's Assistant" I really loved it too.

tamie
11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Ann Patchett also wrote "The Magician's Assistant" I really loved it too.

fauve01
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Thank you everyone for all these suggestions. i am not familiar with lots of them--so i'll be spending my free snippets of time today on amazon complining a list for tonight's meeting. THANKS so much! keep the suggestions coming! i LOVE these book threads--it's where i get all my ideas. :-)

anne

fauve01
11-12-2007, 12:37 PM
I haven't read any Picoult books. it sounds like they would make for a great discussion. thanks!

anne

fauve01
11-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I loved loved loved "One Hundred Years of Solitude." i read it years ago in college.

i haven't read any of your others--thanks for the ideas!

fauve01
11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
i LOVED the queen's fool! made me want to read all the other Gregory books. the Vigrin's Lover is definitely on my list if it comes right after. :-)

a couple of my friends said that The Boleyn Inheritance (supposedly the sequal to the Other Boleyn girl) isn't nearly as good. bummer.

thanks!
anne

anamika
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Some suggestions from our bookclub - we like reading not-so-mainstream books so not sure if it will appeal to you. I've read all of these and love them.

The answer is Yes Sara Lewis
No 1 detective agency series Alexander McCall Smith
The Stone Diaries forget author
Better or anything by Atul Gawande (don't think it's available in paperback yet)
To say nothing of the dog Connie Willis
The Eyre Affair Jasper FForde
Animal, vegetable, miracle Barbara Kingsolver (reading right now)
Devil in the white city Erik Larsen
Divorced Beheaded Survived ( a non-fiction account of Henry VIII wives) good to read with The other Boleyn girl
The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime
The Alchemist Paulo Coelho (not very popular in bookclub but I liked it)
Kitchen Banana Yashimoto (translated from Japanese)
The Unknown errors of our lives Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (any of her short story collections are good)
The Interpreter of Maladies Jhumpa Lahiri
If you can find it - Incantations and other stories Anjana Appachana

and more that I can't remember right now

MelissaTC
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
My book club started in June and so far has read

Wicked
Back When We were Grownups (great discussion, not so great book)
The Red Tent
Devil in the White City
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons

I have also read The Jane Austen Book Club, V for Vendetta (although it is like a comic), Vanishing Acts and My Sister's Keeper.

billysmommy
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
oooh bummer ~ The Boleyn Inheritance was next on my list.

Maybe I'll go with The Constant Princess ~ that's the one before The Other Boleyn Girl (I think it's about Katherine and how she became queen)

The other one that I just saw at the bookstore was Rhett Butler's People ~ it is about Rhett Butler's childhood and his side of Gone With the Wind. I absolutely love GWTW and so hope this one is good :)

Bean606
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
I would love your book club! I just finished reading The Tender Bar, by JR Moehringer and really liked it. It is non-fiction, but reads like fiction, kind of like Eat Pray Love, which I loved. I have the Double Blind sitting on my nightstand, and can't wait to start it. It has gotten rave reviews from friends, and was written by the guy who wrote Midwives. The Lovely Bones was also good, and I thought The Eyre Affair was fun. I thought Love in the Time of Cholera was really depressing. Good luck with your selection!