PDA

View Full Version : Fundraiser Ideas for Sick Friend

infocrazy
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
A very close friend of ours (actually introduced DH and I) was recently diagnosed with a very agressive cancer. He is undergoing treatment away from home and has four kids. We, and other friends, would like to have a fundraiser for their family.

Does anyone have any ideas for good fundraisers? We would like to do an event of some sort. We would also like to do something that can be on-going, so I'd love ideas for that too!

Thanks so much and please keep their family in prayers!

Puddy73
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine how hard that must be for his family, but I'm sure that appreciate your help.

A few fundraising ideas off the top of my head: car wash, pancake breakfast (check with Krusteaz - they used to donate pancake mix to charity events), bake sale (try to hold it in connection with a holiday event), or a raffle (have a local business donate something like a television or game system). Golf tournaments are pretty popular here, but it would depend on your weather.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

dogmom
11-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Neve, an old timer on the board that is long gone, did a fundraiser for her local animal rescue group that I thought was a great idea. It was bowling in you bridesmaid dress. Women came in a bridesmaid dress that they were never going to wear again. It sounded like great fun. There was a silent auction, door prizes, etc that she got people to donate. I think the bowling alley donated the lanes for free.

The other thing to do is try to base something on his interests. Anything can be made into a fundraiser if done right.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06

firstbaby
11-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Depending on where you live, if you have mild winters, you could do a walk or walk / run to raise money. If you had 100 participants and the entry fee was $20 - 30, you could quickly raise some decent money. You could hopefully get some printed t-shirts donated to give to the participants to wear, and that would raise awareness of this person and cause as well. The event could be an annual one or one you do in the fall and spring.

I think a silent auction would also be a great way to raise money, but it does take a tremendous amount of work between getting donations, securing a venue, planning the layout, and getting people to attend and sometimes people are a little distracted during the holidays for something like this.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, he and his family are in my prayers.

hez
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Is there a restaurant or bar or somewhere he spent (spends) a lot of time? I was invited to a fundraiser at a bar for my hairdresser (who had cancer). It was a Cheers type place, and they were willing to do a lot for her. I believe there was a general request for donations, a 50/50 raffle, and other events as well. I didn't make it-- but did provide a donation, so even folks who can't make it might choose to contribute.

Friends of mine walked in the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk this past summer, and one of their fundraisers was to work as bartenders at a local restaurant a couple nights. All the tip money for the 3 or 4 hours they were there was given to them. The restaurant made profits off the food / drinks, and the girls were able to add to their fundraising goal.

ShayleighCarsensMom
11-13-2007, 11:50 PM
My DH had a friend at work that was diagnosed with cancer and they did a hair-cut-a-thon of sorts. They found local hairdressers willing to donate there time and friends, family, people off the street got their hair cut for a donation. Many many people ended up shaving their heads as a tribute to this man and in the end I think they raised upwards of $100,000 and had all sorts of media coverage surrounding it.
Best of luck to you!