PDA

View Full Version : Nursing and feeling run down...what supplements?

neeter
11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I am nursing and sleep deprived with a 8 month old who loves to snack at night and who is teething. I'm feeling pretty run down. I try to eat heathfully but I've been relying on too much sugar...I'm going to be better about it. And I'd really like to boost my energy with supplements and antioxidants that are safe. I am currently taking a prenatal, but looking at the ingredient list, it doesn't seem to have a lot of "stuff" in it.

I'm thinking of drinking mangosteen (saw it on Oprah w/ Dr. Oz) and got something called "Greens to Go" which is fruits and veggies in a powder form. Are these okay?

I tried looking on Kellymom -- it says just be careful of too much Vitamin A...but otherwise doesn't give too much information.

Any help or other suggestions appreciated!
Thank you!

lovin2shop
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I also heard (or read) Dr. Oz say that it has been noted that Green Tea gives you the extra pep that regular iced tea would without all the caffeine. I always feel like I get a boost from it, and I've gotten my husband hooked on it as well. I really like the Starbucks iced green tea, but you could easily make it as well.

brittone2
11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I take a few supplements, but if you are feeling really tired, it might be worthwhile to get a thyroid check (have them do a panel, not just TSH levels) and iron check to start, kwim? That's my non medical opinion for you :) If you are a vegetarian, maybe even b-12 levels?

Also, are you getting enough protein? Carbs make me really sleepy (i'm on the insulin resistant end of things because of PCOS). Eating frequent small meals of protein plus complex carbs might be something else to try if you aren't already.

After addressing those things (if you haven't considered them already), then I'd look to supplements. I do okay w/ a quality multivitamin and a good cod liver oil daily, plus probiotics.

neeter
11-18-2007, 11:18 PM
A belated thank you thank you for all the great suggestions here! I will look into all of them, including the thyroid check and adding protein, as well as green tea. Thanks again!