PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else felt depressed from weaning?

happy2bamom
11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
My DS stopped nursing last week, and I feel so hormonal. I just feel depressed, and irritable and just generally grumpy. I feel so bad for my family, but I can't seem to shake it. And the only thing I can attribute it to is that I have stopped nursing. Does it take a while for your hormones to settle or something?

Jenn98
11-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Yes, it can take up to 3 months for your prolactin levels to stabilize - that's what my doc said. Maybe someone else can offer more info?

kozachka
11-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I was not myself after weaning DS. Not depressed but sort of moody/irritable. I have never heard before that it could last for a while. Of course, I've done a search online, and guess what, I am not the only one who had that sort of reaction. Learning that this was normal and sharing it with DH helped quite a bit. I even posted a link to the most useful information in the Feeding Forum. Sorry I am not posting it here, it's almost 2AM here and I need to be up in 3 hours to catch a flight. If you don't find it, please post here and I'll try to look it up.

lmintzer
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Yep! It hit me pretty hard. I was weepy and sad for a solid 2 weeks and was somewhat down for a few months after. Joshua self-weaned at almost 2--it was pretty abrupt.

elephantmeg
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
absolutely, sad, depressed, anxious, you name it. It only lasted a month or so thank goodness and the worst was over in a week or so. I was SO not prepared for that! And DS weaned abruptly and that made it worse!

geochick
11-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Count me in. I was HORRIBLY sad and depressed.