PDA

View Full Version : 3 month old DS won't sleep for more than 2 hours a stretch at night! Help!

chlobo
11-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Any ideas? DS won't sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch. He will sometimes do 3 hours during the day, if he's laying on me but the nights are killing me. Sometimes it seems like he's uncomfortable. He squirms & passes gas. But he's up every hour. Help!

hillview
11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Do you swaddle? I know 3 months is a little older then some folks like to do the swaddle for but our DS loves his swaddle. DS does wake up on occasion with gas but usually he is ok.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

gatorsmom
11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
He may be squirming because he's gassy. You might want to try giving him some milacon (sp?) drops before putting him down. That made a huge difference with my second one.

If you are bfing, you might want to analyze what you've been eating. I eliminated dairy, chocolate and any kind of beans because I heard they could be upsetting to baby's tummy.

Could he be hungry? Make sure that your DS isn't falling asleep while he's eating. He could be in a "snacking" cycle. Try to keep him awake while you are feeding him by tickling his toes or rubbing a cool washcloth on his feet to keep him awake. That way, he'll eat as much as his little tummy will hold and that should keep him satisfied for a few hours at least.

I agree with pp that swaddling is also wonderful.

If all that fails, I'd try putting him in a swing or bouncy seat just long enough for you to get some sleep. Desparate times call for desparate measures...

GL!

Lisa
mom to Gator 03
mom to Cha cha 05
and surprise! twins coming tomorrow

kedss
11-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi Carren our DS was younger, but he had reflux, and the thing that worked for us, was to put him in his infant carrier in his crib, so he wasn't sleeping flat, we only had to do that for a couple of months, then it got better. I know he ate alot, about every two hours.

big hugs, mama

SASM
11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Not sure if this will help but this seems to be working for DD, who is 7 weeks. Nurse/bottle feed every 2-3 hours throughout the day. make sure that he is comfy throughout the day. DD gets grumpy around 7pm so I nurse her once more, then swaddle her and put her in her crib (shares a room with DD#1). She squirms a little but generally sleeps until somewhere between 12.30a and 2.30a. I nurse her again and then swaddle and move her to her bassinet in our room. She then squirms a little and then sleeps until sometime between 5.30a and 7.30a. I know that i am lucky BUT this can obviously end.

I was having a rough time for a while b/c she was really having a rough time going down b/c I wear her throughout the day and she was possibly getting too much sleep. Since we started swaddling her and putting her in her room for a little while, that seemed to do the trick (again...knock on wood!). We keep her room on the cool side, swaddle her with a Swaddle Me and then a tighter light fleece blanket on top and use a cap. She seems to be comfortable in this combination.

GOOD LUCK!! I hope that you find something that works soon. Try to make sure that he is stimulated during the day and fed pretty regularly and hopefully that in combination with swaddling at night will work for you, too. Ooooo...I hear offspring getting into Halloween candy!! Those sneaky kiddos!!!!

ETA: We also use a pacifier. She only seems to need it occasionally but maybe your little guy could use one, too. We can usually get by without one but it is a lifesaver when we do need it.

CBB
11-14-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Have you tried eliminating gassy food? It certainly could be reflux. We are dealing with this also except DS is even worse. He's 8week today. So far he has only had two 2.5hr stretch by himself since he's born. He wakes up anywhere from one min to an hour after we put him down. At night, we get one 2hr stretch and the rest of the night is crying every 30min to an hour. He usually grunts, squirms and writhes in pain before he wakes up crying. When we pick him up, we can hear him swallow, gurgle, sometimes burp, gag - this would happen even an hour after we last feed him. Mylicon and gripe water didn't help. He has been on prilosec for a week and we are not seeing much improvement yet. I totally feel your pain. I also start working this Friday and I don't know how I'm going to stay awake.