PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Good Children's Book on Death

hellokitty1
11-13-2007, 09:34 PM
A dear friend's husband just passed away this week. He leaves behind a granddaughter that is almost 5 years old. I wanted to get a book for her that her family can read to her that helps her comprehend what has happened, of course in a way that is appropriate for a child her age.

Does anyone have good suggestions? I don't think I want a book that discusses death in the form of a pet or animal (that is what I found on a very quick Google search). I think I want one that speaks in terms of real people.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

egoldber
11-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Two I like are:

I Miss You: A First Look At Death

When Dinosaurs Die

The latter book is written by the author of the Arthur series and the characters are similar to those in that series.

tiapam
11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Blow Me a Kiss, Miss Lilly by Nancy White Carlstrom is about the death of a young girl's elderly neighbor.

Kaddish for Grandpa in Jesus' name, amen / James Howe
Five-year-old Emily tries to understand her grandfather's death by exploring the Christian and Jewish rituals that her family practices during and after his funeral.

Thank you, Grandpa / by Lynn Plourde
This glowing picture book, by turns playful and poignant, portrays the tender relationship between a grandfather and granddaughter as they appreciate nature together over the years. They take their first walk in the woods when the little girl is barely old enough to toddle; their last when Grandfather can only shuffle along. Each walk brings a new discovery-a sneaky snake, flashing fireflies, teardrops on a spiderweb-and sometimes a lesson about saying good-bye. One day the girl walks alone, stronger because she learned from her grandfather how to be grateful for life's fleeting gifts.

Where is Grandpa? / by T.A. Barron
As his family reminisces after his beloved grandfather's death, a boy realizes that his grandfather is still with him in all the special places they shared.

The annotations are not mine except for the first book.

-Pam

DD - 3 YO

katydid1971
11-14-2007, 01:46 AM
A Thnksgiving Wish by Rosen. Its about the loss of a Grandmother it is very good, kind of long but would be a good one for discussion for your friend's granddaughter
HTH
Sarah