PDA

View Full Version : how do you keep a down comforter in place inside the duvet?

urquie
11-14-2007, 12:52 AM
our down comforter is always bunching up at our feet. we're getting tired of shaking out the comforter everyday. is there a trick to keeping it spread out evenly within the duvet cover?

i should add it's not the feathers that are moving around - the down comforter has the boxed stitching to keep them evenly spread out.

eta: it's an ikea down comforter and duvet. i'm guessing, for their cheap prices, that they didn't include any useful extras like ties in the corners.

is their any hope for an idea that doesn't include sewing... or possibly sticking myself with a safety pin? my complete sewing kit comes from airplanes or hotels from about 15 years ago. :)

tiapam
11-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Duvet covers from LL Bean and Lands End usually have ties inside, for the corners. The comforter still moves around, but I think not as much.

-Pam

DD - 3 YO

nfowife
11-14-2007, 12:56 AM
We have a pottery barn duvet and it came with ties (like bumper ties, 2 ties if that makes sense) on each inside corner. You just tie it around the corners of your comforter tightly to hold it in place. Or, if you want to go all out, you could sew small loops in each corner of your down comforter and it would really stay put. That's what I'd do! You could also use safety pins but I'd worry they'd come undone and stick you.

katydid1971
11-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Yes, you sew ribbons at the corners of the inside of the duvet cover long enough to tie around the corners of the comforter. This is martha's way of dealing with the problem. I did it and it does work pretty well.
HTH
Sarah

urquie
11-14-2007, 01:47 AM
thanks for the ideas! it makes perfect sense!

maybe my mil would be willing to help me with the sewing :)

Marisa6826
11-14-2007, 02:07 AM
These ones:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12022778

work way better than the ones that look like the binder clips covered with white foam (at least they do for me).

I went through three separate sets of those binder clip kind before happening upon the ring-type and am much happier with them

HTH

-m

mamicka
11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I second these. The foam-covered clip ones work fine for smaller duvets (like on the kids beds) but the ring-type work really well on my bed.

Allison
DS1 2003
DS2 2005
DS3 2007

urquie
11-14-2007, 12:35 PM
thanks - i like this idea!! i'm going to go look for some today!

tamie
11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
In the meantime, you could use the safety pins.

I turn the duvet cover inside out and lay the comforter on top of it. I pin what will be the top (at the head of the bed) in each corner and three or four additional pins across the top. Then, I match up the sides and pin along them with three or four safety pins. Then I turn the duvet right side out.

This has worked for the past few years for us and we haven't had any trouble sticking ourselves with the safety pins.

Good luck!