PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had experience with the nasal flu vaccine?-long.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-14-2007, 02:33 AM
I ask becuase ds had his wb visit yesterday(mon)and the ped talked us into a flu vaccination. So we decided since he'll be starting play groups and dd goes to preschool that the vaccination was a good idea. Why I thought this at that moment I don't know because we'd had a discussion about it and decided againt doing it. But now it's done. He had the nasal spray and wouldn't you know it he spiked a fever today.
It was up to about 101 earlier today but before the motrin before bed kicked in his fever got up to 103.2 F ancilary (with adding). I called the ped's office this afternoon and they said it was probobly just a reaction to the vaccine and not the actual flu. I'm unsure of this advice as the nasal mist is a live vaccine and the shot is inactive. I'm really worried that ds might have the flu-joy of joys right before thanksgiving-especially if my stepbrother wants to attend for even a few minutes I wouldn't dare be anywhere near him. We'd probobly be on a differant floor of the house during his visit.
We decided to do the vaccine because it seemed so noninvasive and easy and the ped said he sees so few children actually get the flu from. I thought-if it's just a nose spray that could help why not do it. Arghh, grrr.

Has anyone else had the nasal vaccine for their dc, did they react this way or is this unusual. I could really use some advice on this one. Tia

jen

nfowife
11-14-2007, 08:38 AM
DD got it last week. No fever, but about 3 days later she woke up with a cold and pinkeye. The drops cleared the pinkeye right up but she still has a cold. But, so do DS and I (before the shot) so I'm not sure how it is all related.

kransden
11-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Ds doesn't have the flu. He is either having a bad reaction to the vaccine, or is sick from something else. Dd always feels crummy when she get her shot, but has never had such a high fever. We have got them for her every year.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

pinkmomagain
11-14-2007, 10:07 AM
My kids got it the past couple of years and had no problems whatsoever.

Gina

brittone2
11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Flu mist contains live virus. If you look up the side effects, the manufacturers will say it does not cause flu, but the potential side effects listed are miraculously exactly the same as flu symptoms. Semantics IMO.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

scroll down to flumist.