PDA

View Full Version : How often do you exchange gifts?

kayte
11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I am just curious about this. We received a gift for DD that's not our (or DD's) speed and it came with a gift receipt. I am going to exchange it for something else for DD. My DC is only 22 months old so we haven't had too much experience with exchanging gifts--so I am curious how many of you regularly do it and if you let the original gift giver know. The one who sent her this present lives far away but I would not want them coming to our house one day and wondering where the gift was.... So how do you gracefully tell them?

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Unless it is a duplicate I have never exchanged a gift for ds. Sometimes I probably should have b/c some I knew he wasn't interested in. There have been toys, books or other gifts that he grew into later though so it was actually nice that we kept them.

If it was something unsafe for choking hazards I would put it away till he was older. If it was flat out dangerous? I probably would return it but we haven't had that problem.

If I did exchange something I don't think I would let the gift giver know unless I was close with them.

Beth

katydid1971
11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
I would exchange it and write a nice thank you, if you think the giver would like to know you exchagned it tell them otherwise say how thoughtful they were and how much you appreciate it, they don't need to know the gift was exchanged. If the giver comes to visit they probably won't notice if the toy is there or not. Honestly I usually don't remember what I give people plus I would be happier if a person exchanged a gift for something they would enjoy or use more that way my money isn't wasted. Plus since they sent a gift receipt they want to make sure you are happy with the gift and that you can exchange the gift for something that will make DD happy.
Sarah

hillview
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
I exchange ALL the time. I don't tell people.
/hillary

kayte
11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
The gift in question is alittle to young for DD, at least I think. It's FP Laugh and Learn item and she has moved on to more realistic things. The couple who gave it to her doesn't have any children so they just went by the age range on the box and she is almost at the top.

masha12
11-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I confess to being a compulsive returner. With three kids under four, I have all the toys and clothes I need.

Give me a gift from Target or BRU with a gift receipt? I am buying diapers. I don't need any more infant toys, "Baby's First Christmas" anything, stuffed animals, or dolls.

I send a thank you note for the gift, return the item, and never tell the giver.

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Ah, I haven't had that problem. Exchange away. :) Or save it for a holiday donation maybe?

Beth

Melanie
11-15-2007, 01:50 AM
As needed, less often now that in the earlier days. I never tell them if I don't think they'll find out. SO far, that has meant never except with close family friends who have said something like "If this doesn't fit..." and then asked.

I think if I had to tell some gracefully I would keep it vague so as not to insult them say, "it was such a lovely/thoughtful gift, but unfortunately we couldn't use it (unsaid: b/c it's a heinous plastic noisy lead-filled toxic toy). We really appreciated your remembering Dd, though. We used the credit to buy XYZ."

egoldber
11-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Personally, I consider a gift with a gift receipt to be a gift certificate. :) That is true both when I give and receive a gift. I would not, however, ever SAY that to a person I received a gift from. I have, however, said it to people to whom I have given gifts. Something like "I hope your child enjoys this, but please feel free to exhange it, the gift receipt is in the bag."

That being said, it is a lot harder now to exchange gifts for Sarah. Now when she opens a gift she wants it, whatever it is, and I sometimes have a hard time even getting her to exchange duplicates LOL!

August Mom
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Return/exchange it and don't worry about it. I wouldn't tell the giver. You include a gift receipt to allow someone to return the item if it doesn't work out. They included one and you returned it. It all works out. Thank them for their thoughtfulness/generosity.

And, when you give gifts, always include a gift receipt when possible because you never know what others may already have or what they really like.

maestramommy
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM
If the gift came with a receipt, then I don't think you have to let them know. Arwyn got an outfit with a blanket (a set), and we already have too many blankets, so we went to Macy's with the gift receipt and returned it, got store credit on a gift card. We then bought her a couple of summer outfits that she sorely needed.

We still sent the giver a thank you card though.

BeachBum
11-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Exchange guilt free! Write a note thanking them for the gift as given, and do NOT tell them you exchanged.

hazel
11-16-2007, 11:41 PM
If it is something we already have, don't need, or would never use... I send a thank you note for the gift, return/exchange the item, and never tell the giver. I love gift receipts!