PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about Disney on Ice

drsweetie
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I feel like such a dope for asking this, but let me explain. This weekend we're taking DD to see a Disney on Ice show. I have been ice skating, but never to an ice show. How cold is it likely to be in the place where the show's going to be? Will we need winter jackets or not? Thanks for not laughing.

Ellen

stella
11-15-2007, 11:27 AM
It was pretty cool in the coliseum when we went. I wished that we had at least had some jackets to spread on our laps.

Have fun!

hardysmom
11-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Depends on the venue and where you are sitting. If you are right on the ice, a lap blanket and/or light jacket (probably not a winter coat) might be a good thing to stuff in a bag. Maybe you'll need it, maybe not.

We went in mid-sept (when it was still 90 degrees out). We were on the first row of the first tier (not right on the ice). My girls wore their princess dresses over short sleeved t-shirts and leggings and were fine.

The current Princes show is really good, btw. I've always heard mixed reviews of the previous shows, but everyone I know really liked this one.

One trick- hit a Disney store (or even Target) and get a couple of souvineer-ish things (like the spinning, light-up flashlights, etc) to take with you for your kids. Pull them out during the show as the vendor people come around. Prices are OUTRAGEOUS! Little things you could get at a Disney Store for $5-$8 are $20-$30.

Stephanie

supercalifragilous
11-15-2007, 01:08 PM
We had seats in row 8 and DD was in her princess costume. We had a jacket for her in the beginning but she got hot at intermission. It probably depends on where you're sitting, but I'd take a light jacket just in case.

August Mom
11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
A fleece jacket was just right when we went (in the winter).

squimp
11-17-2007, 12:03 AM
We just went last week, and it wasn't that cold. DD wore her princess dress with tights and she was fine. I brought our jackets in case it was cold, but I was surprised how warm it was.

And I agree on the souvenirs. We got a $7 flag, which is reasonable. Luckily DD didn't want the crazy spinny $30 lights. But I did wish I had brought something to surprise her with, like a flashlight or glow in the dark necklace.

drsweetie
11-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the input about the temperature. I was amazed that it was so warm in the arena! We had a pretty good time although DD was upset at how loud the music was; she spent the entire show with two sets of hands (hers and mine) over her ears. Thanks also for the hint about buying a toy beforehand; I gave her a little Ariel figurine when she was starting to make noises about wanting to go to the souvenir stand and she was happy as a clam. DH said "Wow, those Baby Bargains moms really know their stuff!"

Ellen

bubbaray
11-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I think DH is going to take DD#1 this coming weekend. I don't get to go b/c none of the showtimes work with DD#2's sleep schedule and its too far away for me to take DD#1 but still be the milk truck for DD#2.... :(

Anyway, my pouting aside, what would be good things for him to get either before the show or there? Does she need a specific Princess costume (she has lots of princess-y dress up clothes, but nothing specifically Disney) -- she d/n seem to yet have a favorite princess, though I guess maybe Ariel? What other treat/trinkets are good????

TIA
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

drsweetie
11-19-2007, 08:46 AM
There were lots of girls there in princess costumes, not all Disney (I know I saw several Barbie princesses). If she already has princess-y stuff, IMO she doesn't need a new dress.

For souvenirs for sale there they had wands, spinning flashlights, sno-cones in collectible princess cups, dolls, T-shirts, and a bunch of other things. We didn't buy any of it. You can also get your picture taken with some Mickey and Minnie statues. I bought DD an Ariel dress-up figurine for $5 at Target and put it in my bag, and then hauled it out when DD started eyeing the souvenir stand. I may have said this in my thank-you post but I actually think she liked the Ariel doll better than the ice show! Oh well.

Ellen

bubbaray
11-20-2007, 12:58 AM
DH got the tickets today and I found an Ariel doll at Walmart. I'm trying to find something smaller for DH to stuff in his coat pocket to take with him. What I found was the Barbie-sized one. Anyway, at least I found something and I have the rest of the week to keep looking.

Thanks for the great idea!!! :)

Oh, and DD actually WANTS to wear one of the princess dresses she already has. I thought she would want to go as Ariel or one of the others, but nope -- she's so excited to wear *her* princess dress!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007