PDA

View Full Version : Cream colored winter coat? Disaster in the making?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Recently bought a cream colored down coat that I love the look of but I have not been able to get myself to cut the tags off. Have you had a light colored winter coat and do you regret it? I usually do not venture very far out of black/grey. Thanks!
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Clarity
11-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I have a cream colored wool coat. And, yeah....I'm not a big fan. It looked dingy after the first winter and you can't just throw a wool coat into the wash. Somehow dry cleaning didn't really help...I dunno. But a grey coat is sounding pretty good right now.

I guess I'd say if this is going to be your "regular wear" coat, then I'd lean towards a darker color. However, if you're just going to wear it occassionally, cut those tags off and go for it!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes, this would be an every day coat for at least a couple of winters but it is washable. Hmmmm.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

shishamo
11-15-2007, 11:48 AM
I have a cream colored down vest that I wore a lot last winter. It does get dingy quickly but I just wash it, and it's fine.
I love that it lights up the outfit.

Clarity
11-15-2007, 12:08 PM
If you can wash it, go for it!

trumansmom
11-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I recently bought an ivory colored coat. I took it out of the box, tried it on in front of the mirror, and then promptly drove back to the store to return it. It just was not me at all.

After purchasing and returning another coat, I just got my latest one in the mail today. I love it! It's olive green and it's perfect. I was also trying to avoid doing the black/grey thing I usually do, and I love that this is a little bit different, but still very neutral and will work with all the black and grey I own.

But, I'm your basic fashion disaster, so what do I know? :P

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

tiapam
11-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I have a cream colored down jacket. I also waited to cut the tags off! I actually bought another down jacket at the same time (much cheaper than the cream) and decided to keep both. The cream has suffered a little as not every little mark has come off in the wash. The other coat is just not as cool looking. In fact, one day when I had it on, DD said, "Mommy, kinda, kinda, grandma's coat" which meant it looked like something grandma would wear. My sister has the same one in another color and I just had to share that with her! We are both wearing a coat that looks like something our mother would wear!

-Pam

DD - 3 YO

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
For cryin out loud, I looked so cool for about 1/2 hour then I went through the drive through. Shoot. Off to pretreat.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

dcmom2b3
11-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Right about now I'm craving a Big Mac so bad I'd prolly . . . well, let's just say I'd try to take care of the spot myself. But that's just the insanely-intense-pregnant-craving me talking.

I'm stuck at home, DH doesn't have his cell, so I can't text a "spcl reqst". That's code for "bring me a Big Mac now." So was just too happy to see the words "special sauce" in the title of your post, I had to reply.

Cyber special sauce. It has, indeed, come to this.

Mary-Helen

P.S. The spot should come out easy as pie. (Uh, I've had a few m'self recently.) And if it doesn't, you know where you can send it . . . :9

spanannie
11-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Keep the coat! I'm about to order one for myself right now :-)
Stains easily come out of that material, so I wouldn't worry about it.
XOXO

kijip
11-16-2007, 03:35 AM
I think that is pretty brave. I wish I would do it, but I know I would get it dirty and fast. :P I think I am going to get a red/dark red wool coat to get away from the all gray thing I have been doing for a looooonng time.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Mary-Helen you are cracking me up!!! Thanks.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

hazel
11-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I opt for dark coats because of stains or fear of stains. :) I couldn't do a cream coat for every day, but yes for occasional wear.