PDA

View Full Version : Baby Modeling

rachelh
11-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I have no idea where to post this, so maybe some in the lounge can help me out.

I have been wanting to take my 17 month old DD for modeling for a while now and just never put my mind to it being that I was working full time. Now I am home with her for a short period of time - about 3 months left until i go back to work and would love to take her for casting calls.

Does anyone know of any resources available or even just know about some casting calls in NYC area? I heard GAP was having one but heard about it a week too late.

brittone2
11-15-2007, 01:29 PM
no btdt experience, but there are some old threads about people that did this or know someone with a child that does baby modeling.

I remember them mentioning there is *tons* of waiting around for long periods of time, which can be really trying for both parent and child. I remember also reading somewhere recently that unless a child has a really unique look or ethnicity, the market is pretty saturated.

There are certainly people that do it though. My impression was that it was often tough on parent/child in terms of patience, etc. though.

eta: one old thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=68910&mode=full

lizajane
11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
schuyler modeled for a professional shoot once. the stylist on the shoot recommended i call an agency nearby to seek representation because, for lack of a better phrase, he was good at it. the agency required him to be 4, and he was 2.5 at the time. i don't take it too seriously, but have considered calling them now that he is 4.5 and he did really well on my own professional shoot (he modeled for my line of clothing and i was not present during his shoot.)

long story short, i think you should seek representation rather than go to casting calls.

lisams
11-15-2007, 06:49 PM
The only advice I have is to be very careful of scams. If you have to pay a lot up front then it's probably a good sign it's a scam. And there are many out there that make money off of parents just like you who want their child to be models. From what I've heard, reputable agencies usually scout your child out instead of vice versa and never have you pay hundreds of dollars for a "portfolio".

Good luck!

pinkmomagain
11-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Yes,seek representation by finding reputable agencies and find out if/how they accept submissions. I don't know how it's different for babies,but for kids, initially, snapshots from home are fine for seeking representation.

Gina

jerigirl
11-15-2007, 11:15 PM
http://www.parents.com/parents/help/?page=HelpContUsQ11&pagename=HelpContUsQ11
The above link talks about getting your child on the cover of Parents Magazine or American Baby Magazine. Parents Magazine works with agencies in the NYC area and the page linked above has a link to a list of some of the ones they recommend. Checking out some of those agencies could be a starting point. Good luck!

Jeri

Tondi G
11-17-2007, 12:07 AM
you can also look on the SAG website for childrens agencies. Not all take toddlers. You will need to send in some snapshots (a headshot and a full body) and they will call you and make an appointment to see/meet your child to decide if they want to represent her. Then you will need to print some pics of your child to bring to them (usually like 20 or 30, they will call you if they need more) and get a work permit. They don't typically require profession pics/composites for babies/toddlers cause they are changing so much they would want new pics every 4 months or so!

Good Luck

~Tondi