PDA

View Full Version : Do you expect a party favor at a baby shower?

american_mama
11-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Yet another baby shower thread... are party favors necessary or expected? I don't have a lot of baby shower experience, but I don't think I've gotten favors at any of them. We did have nice prizes at one of them. I want to host a small shower at a restaurant for friends (oops... etiquette demands I saw my sister will be hosting, rolls eyes). All the women will have already had children and been well through the shower thing. If you think favors are expected, any ideas for nice party favors that don't get thrown out or collect dust the moment they're brought home?

mamalia
11-18-2007, 03:04 AM
The Revolution Tea samplers are cute as favors. You can use them individually or in the packs of five. Wrap them with ribbon (attach a thank you) and you're good to go. Here's a link:

http://www.revolutiontea.com/tea-samplers/

FYI, I didn't vote because I think it depends on your group of friends/family. At ones I've attended there were favors - usually baked goods by the hostess(es).

Malia

JoyNChrist
11-18-2007, 03:07 AM
I don't think it's necessary or expected, but I do think it's nice. I like stuff I can eat (since I don't need any more dust collectors) - a small bag of blue or pink M&M's tied with a ribbon, a pretty cookie in a cellophane bag, or something like that. At one shower I went to, everyone was given one of those suckers that are in shape of a pacifier. It was a silly, fun favor.

BeachBum
11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
I typically think they are a waste. I'm not giving any at the shower I'm hosting next month.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
My mom just threw a "no gift baby sprinkle" for me and she gave out Bath and Body Works body wash and bubble baths to everyone. Not a bad idea b/c it is consumable but I think we all would have been fine w/o any favor.

Beth

dr mom
11-18-2007, 10:54 AM
The baby shower is about celebrating the expectant mother and the upcoming birth - I think the only requirement is that you serve some sort of refreshments and not insist that your guests play TOO many dumb shower games. ;)

Corie
11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
My thoughts exactly!! :)

LarsMal
11-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Ditto that one!

I've thrown a few showers and made chocolates as the favor. For the baby showers I got baby-related molds from Michael's and the chocolate discs. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and tied a bow on them. Everyone thought they were cute (and a yummy treat!).

I didn't vote, either, b/c I agree w/the pp who said it depends on the group. Where I come from they are pretty much expected, but where DH grew up they don't really even do showers so it's a completely different experience.

Good luck and have fun!

KBecks
11-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I never expect favors. They're a nice surprise.... especially if they are edible.

Kungjo
11-18-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't expect party favors when I go to a baby shower. I go to celebrate the upcoming birth of a precious bundle and to wish the parents well. Most favors are usually a type of candy. Although I would love to eat the candy, I really don't need them. I need to lose a few pounds. :-)

caleymama
11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Ditto that.

MarisaSF
11-18-2007, 06:48 PM
I voted yes because I do expect that I'll go home with some little tchotchke that I'll feel guilty about throwing away later. That's not exclusive to baby showers.

I'm all about giving guests good chocolate. Doesn't need to fit any theme... just something to take home. Is there a local chocolatier that you like?

ETA: One shower I went to gave guests really pretty soaps that did fit the theme. That was a nice favor.

pb&j
11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
>
>ETA: One shower I went to gave guests really pretty soaps that
>did fit the theme. That was a nice favor.
>

Did they look like baby arms?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif