PDA

View Full Version : What age is appropriate for bunk beds?

MommyAllison
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Specifically, I'm wondering what you all consider an appropriate age to let a child sleep on the top bunk. DH and I have been concerned about a good friend's DC (only child) who is being allowed to sleep on the top bunk at what we think is way too young of an age. We have mentioned our concern to our friends and they aren't worried about it, though the child has fallen from the ladder once already. Now we're wondering if we are truly paranoid. Thanks!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

o_mom
11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
8 or 9-ish, IMO, from watching my nieces and nephews. We will not even entertain the thought of bunkbeds until the youngest is at least 6, because I don't want to have to "police" the bed at all during the day (also based on watching family).

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2007, 08:52 PM
6 is the minimum age I have heard for a top bunk. We had thought about getting ds a loft bed after he was 6 but I have doubts about that now. He is 5.5yo and I can't imagine feeling comfortable with even a lower loft bed (one that is still tall enough to play under) in just 6 months.

My 11 yo niece fell off her ladder and broke her wrist and, imo, she was old enough to be up there. Just an unfortunate accident.

In my book you are not paranoid. :) Or, if you are so am I!

Beth

Tondi G
11-19-2007, 09:22 PM
We have a beautiful set of twin over full bunkbeds from PBK that are nice and sturdy. The ladder is on a slant due to the fact that it is a T over F and that makes it feel a bit safer to me than the up and down ladders. Our boys are 6 and 2.5. My little guy climbs up there often but he doesn't sleep up there. My 6 year old hasn't had ANY issues sleeping on the top bunk!

I think 6+ is a good age for a top bunk. My boys are extremly agile and surefooted so I might feel differently than someone who's child is a little more unsure and might fall easier!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

egoldber
11-19-2007, 09:23 PM
I believe 6 is the youngest recommended age, but I wouldn't let my 6 year old sleep up there.

hobokenmom
11-19-2007, 09:59 PM
My two sons share a room. My son started sleeping in the top bunk at age 9, and we've never had any issues. My younger son has NEVER been allowed to go on the top bunk, and he never has. We just made it very clear from the start -- we got them when he was 2 1/2.

I wouldn't let a child younger than six sleep on the top. I still worry about my 10 year old climbing down in the middle of the night to pee.

Marisa6826
11-19-2007, 10:02 PM
See item 2b in this CPSC guideline:

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/071.html

-m

JBaxter
11-19-2007, 10:33 PM
6 is the minimum age I have heard but a FYI in Maryland NO foster children are allowed in bunkbeds. It doesnt matter if they are 15yr old they have regulations against it.

Momof3Labs
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
I've heard six but not sure that I'd be comfortable with that. Our 5yo still has bedrails because he kept on falling out when we took them off! At least it wasn't too far a fall from his current bed - it would be awful from a bunk bed.

elephantmeg
11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
a 4 year old foster child died getting trapped in between the bed and the rail in our area a few weeks ago. Yeah, talk about bad publicity!

masha12
11-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I've told my daughter, now age 3, that she can sleep on the top bunk when she is able to make the bed up there all by herself because mom is not going to be able to do it.

I have no idea when she will master bed making, but when she does, she is free to sleep up there.

emilyf
11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok, clearly I'm in the minority on this but ds is in the top bunk and has been for a couple of months-he's almost 5. We haven't had any problems at all-he's very careful, and there are rails. It is a single over double, and his room is carpeted so if he fell from the ladder it would be onto the bed below or onto the carpet. He knows that the bed is not for playing. I think it depends on the kid, but mine does just fine at almost 5.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

MommyAllison
11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. The child in question is 2 years old, so obviously way below the recommended age. I am glad to know that we are not just paranoid on this - hopefully we'll be able to convince our friends. It is a twin over twin bunkbed, so DH and I are both worried that a fall would do serious damage (at the least). It makes it very difficult for our DD to play there since she wants to climb up like her friend does. Thanks again!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

s7714
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
ROFLMAO! I so hear you on that one! We left the rails on our younger DD's bed (she sleeps in the "top" of a bunk bed, even though we have the upper and lower bunks separated right now) and it's such a major PITB to change the sheets I can't even imagine how to do it when they're actually bunked! I've classified changing sheets on the top bunk to be one of those "why the heck didn't someone warn me about this before I bought it?" things.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org