PDA

View Full Version : DD didn't smile in family photos. Help, please!

kusumat
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
It is so difficult to make DD(18 months) smile in the family photo. Any tips that work? TIA!

wencit
11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Here's a trick that a friend taught me: RIGHT before taking the photo, whomever is holding DC raises the child high up into the air and brings them back down again quickly. Apparently kids love the quick up & down motion, and many of them will smile.

When we went to the zoo last weekend, my friend stood behind the photographer and played peek-a-boo with DS by popping out from various places behind the photographer. For instance, she'd hide behind the photographer (in this case, my husband), then pop her head out over DH's shoulder and yell, "Peek-a-boo!" before ducking down behind him again. Then she'd poke her head over his other shoulder, yell, "Peek-a-boo!," smile, and hide again. Wash, rinse, and repeat. DS LOVED this, and we would have gotten a wonderful family photo if it weren't for the fact that I was cracking up myself, and it ended up looking like I was trying to catch a fly with my mouth.

If all else fails, there is always gentle tickling under the armpits while you are holding DC with a big smile on your own face.

denna
11-22-2007, 03:45 AM
With my 19mo we just tell him to say 'Cheeeeeeese' and that usually does the trick. If that fails I tickle him a little on his shoulders or the back of his neck and that will def. do the trick.

elephantmeg
11-22-2007, 09:31 AM
whatever you do don't tell them about it for the next 1,00 years. "Everyone one else smiled in the family pictures, but you and your brother ruined it". Argh!!!!!!!!! Kids are kids and sometimes they just don't smile!

ciaobella
11-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Depending on who is taking the photos and how they are going to be processed (i.e. whether photoshop is available), I gave my oldest things like cheerios that seemed to make him smile and then I would photoshop the cheerio out if it showed up in the photo.

My problem now is that I have taken so many photos of my 3.5 yo it is very difficult to get him to smile for the camera. We got a handful of shots yesterday for our family photos, but none of the shots really showed off his big smile.

Good luck - I hope it is a phase!

masha12
11-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Someone told me to sing Happy Birthday. Kids apparently can't help but smile, apparently.

Please don't worry about the 18 month old not smiling. Kids under 3 can't be, and aren't, expected to be able to pose for a group shot.

We did a grandkid picture last year for my inlaws last year and we ended up going with the picture where my then 12-month old looked the worst.

My attitude was that it was more important for the older kids (none of whom are mine) to look good because that would really look goofy if they were looking away or weren't smiling.

randomkid
11-23-2007, 10:43 PM
We use the gentle tickle trick. Another that works with my DD is that whoever is holding her spins around real quick and when they stop, she is smiling really big. Just have to be sure that the spinner can stop and smile and look natural - lol.

FWIW, so far, in all of our Christmas family pics, DD is not smiling. She has a calm look on her face (which is so not her personality), but most people like the look she has. I think at 18 months, it's ok if they aren't smiling.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't teach the "cheese" smile. DD has learned that and it's not too flattering. It can look like this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/DSC_02800013.jpg

Good Luck!

punkrockmama
11-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Where's the problem Kim? She's a doll and her cheesey smile is super cute. ;) :)

I can usually get a genuine smile out of my kids if I make funny faces (they must be used to it). But, I actually like some of their not studio ready smiley pics.

One of the most beautiful, favorite pics of Layla is this one where she is bawling like a banshee. You can just see all her sweet baby pudge, her wild hair and stuff. It's framed and up where everyone can see. :)