PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had experience with the CEIVA photo frame

hillview
11-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I am thinking of getting one for my 87 year old grandmother and maybe my mom too. Anyone have one or seen one?
TIA!
/hillary

caheinz
11-24-2007, 05:44 PM
No personal experience, but a friend got one for the grandparents, and they all love it!

I think they're still the only one you can load pictures to from a distance and without a computer connected -- meaning you can take pics at home, upload them to a website, and set it up so grandma sees them without her having to do a thing. Definitely a better option than memory cards for anyone who isn't computer literate and is too far to set it up for them regularly.

writermama
11-24-2007, 10:04 PM
we've bought 3 for DH's family and are generally happy with them. Some have been in use for 4 years. The newest one needs to occasionally be unplugged and plugged back in because it can freeze up, but it's easy to fix.

One thing to find out is if they offer a local access number for your grandmother's town. They don't for DH's, so we pay extra for 800 number access -- it's worth it, but best to know going in if you'll need to pay extra (picture plan plus toll-free access is $150/year).

sidmand
11-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Unless you're like my grandmother...no amount of explaining and/or doing it for her will make her understand that she's a) not tying up the phone line and b) it's okay to keep it plugged in.

It is a neat idea. My Dad bought one for both grandmothers. I think they've (combined) had them actually working for about two hours though.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev110pr___.png[/img] (][img)

lablover
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I just looked this up and it sounds like a great idea for my MIL. I understand that we send pictures to a website, but can someone tell me exactly how she would receive the photos in the frame - does it need to stay hooked up to a phone line?

hillview
11-27-2007, 03:47 PM
You leave it plugged into a phone line and it dials up every night to a local number (should be free if you have free local calling plan). You can search the cevia web site for a local number. I found a code:
7FFSAVE30
For 30% off. I got the 8 inch which comes with 3 free months and then purchased the 1 year plan and with the 30% off it is the same price as the 12 months free offer (but you get an extra 3 months free).

I have not gotten mine yet but will post once I do. I am going to open it and see how it works. Then re-wrap it for my grandma. And talk my uncle through how it works.

GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

pastrygirl
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
My parents and my in-laws each have one, and they love it! My parents are savvy enough to be able to log into their account to remove older photos (yay mom!). My in-laws had trouble with theirs after a power outage and haven't had the time to call support, so it's just been out of commission for a month. Hopefully they'll call soon to get it fixed! They miss having it. I usually try to upload photos a few times a month. It's SO easy!

Cristina
mom to Toby, 6/10/06

pastrygirl
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
My parents and my in-laws each have one, and they love it! My parents are savvy enough to be able to log into their account to remove older photos (yay mom!). My in-laws had trouble with theirs after a power outage and haven't had the time to call support, so it's just been out of commission for a month. Hopefully they'll call soon to get it fixed! They miss having it. I usually try to upload photos a few times a month. It's SO easy!

Cristina
mom to Toby, 6/10/06