PDA

View Full Version : not sure if these are sleep terror's ???

TraciG
11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
For a long time Sydney has had something strange going on in her sleep ( not every night ). Sometimes she cries but is asleep still on & off most of the night and sometimes she'll cry & kick & move around on & off in the night. Recently she had it the worst ! I was actually worried she'd hit her head against her dresser in her sleep so I had to put a pillow there & I heard a thump sound a little later, she actually moved around or kicked so much she fell off her bed & was asleep on her floor !!! She had no memory of it.

She never screams or shakes, I read this usually happens with sleep terror's. Early this morning she sat up in bed with her eye's open & said I'm not tired anymore then lay back down & went back to sleep & the crying again & mumbled, I'm scared. When she is awake after these kinds of night's she has no memory of it.

Anyone know what this could be ? I'm trying to notice if it happens when she goes to bed late.

rlu
11-25-2007, 05:47 PM
DS has had night terrors, especially when his normal sleep pattern is off (and we're into the holidays so we're crossing our fingers). He cries and cries and doesn't wake up. This started when he was quite young, the ped suggested he was too young, but couldn't account for it. We're treating them as night terrors without an official diagnosis and we do the "wrong" thing in that I will slowly softly talk to DS until he calms down or, more often, wakes up. He usually falls back to sleep right away. Are these actual night terrors - who knows? The only "treatment" I know of for night terrors is to try to regulate the sleep pattern, which we do as well as we can.

It sounds like Sydney has this occur more frequently than our DS. Definitely worth calling the doctor tomorrow for some advice.

Good luck.

TraciG
11-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks, I will call the doctor tomorrow.

She had it again last night, very bad, again she fell out of the bed from kicking & moving around so much, she didn't even know she fell, she was still asleep. Since we're at my parent's I just carried her into the room I was sleeping in so I wouldn't have to worry about her all night. Well I had a terrible night !! She slept with me & kept crying & kicking all night , on & off.

I told her what she did at night, she had no memory & said she was sorry for hitting me, yeah that was lovely, right in the face !

Hoping for more responses

tsem
11-25-2007, 09:50 PM
I am interested to see what you find out. My 3 1/2 yr old dd has nights like this as well. She is not fully awake but will be talking and not making sense. It is very bizarre. I find she has nights like this when she is very tired. I try to settle her down and have her go back to sleep. A couple of times it has been so bad that she has cried that she sees things!! That freaked me out but then I settled her back down, she went to sleep and didn't remember any of it in the morning. These night terrors for us seem to happen a few times a month. It used to be about once a week.
Traci

sweetpea
11-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Does she watch TV? My dd started having what I thought was night terrors and it turned out that she was having nightmares from movies.

I noticed that she woke up screaming/crying/yelling out after grandma babysat her, and grandma babysits by parking her in front of movies like Ice Age and Cinderella. After I made the connection and made a no tv at grandma's house rule, the nightmares stopped completely. She may not appear to be afraid when she's actually watching the movie but that doesn't mean it isn't scary to her, it's just that it's too riveting to look away.

TraciG
11-26-2007, 12:07 PM
intersting about the TV. Sydney has been watch TV since she's a baby so I don't think that's the reason, thanks for responding !!

TraciG
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
so I waited for the doc to call, well he call's at the WORST time when I'm in the elevator ! Anyway I didn't lose connection BUT as soon as we walk into the apt, Sydney is talking to me so that I can't hear ! Basically he said it sound's like night terror's & tonight after she's asleep wake her after one hour, ( sound's fun ) then have her go back to sleep, do this 2 night's. Not sure how this is supposed to help, couldn't ask anything because my DD was so loud, so if it doesn't work I have to call back in a week.