PDA

View Full Version : Selling on craigslist to long distance buyer paying with Paypal

Oregonmother
11-26-2007, 12:42 AM
The buyer contacted me and asked me to ship, and would pay by Paypal. This is safe to do right? Are there any risks? Of course I would wait for the item to fund to my Paypal before shipping. It's not a very expensive item, I just have never done this before. What do you all think?

denna
11-26-2007, 02:55 AM
As long as they are paying first I dont really see any risk involved. If it was someone purchasing local then you would give them your address for them to pick it up or would send it to them, right? I think it sounds fine.

Pennylane
11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I've heard of lots of scams on Craigslist that involve mailing items. I think it usually involves the person paying with a check.

However it seems like if they pay with Paypal and you have a verified address you would be o.k.

Ann

almostmom
11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I received some slightly odd requests like this when I was selling some stuff on craigslist. It sounded basically legit, but some of the language in the response seemed odd. I ended up selling to someone locally, and didn't worry about it until a similar email came for another item I had posted. Then I got suspicious. I do think that there are a bunch of scammers with the "shipping abroad" line, so just be cautious. It could be fine, but it could get messy too. Check out some of the info on Craigslist about avoiding scams.

Twoboos
11-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I did this recently. The buyer seemed pretty "normal" via email, she sent the paypal as requested, I sent the item off and it all worked out. I had never done it either but I figured once they sent the paypal it should be set.

karin4
11-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I did this recently, too. As PPs have said, there are craigslist scams where people want you to ship things, but they usually involve money orders and, often, overseas addresses. I wouldn't-- didn't!-- really worry about a Paypal purchase shipped to another state, and would do it again for anything that's easy to pack, especially if I didn't have any interested local buyers.

Meatball Mommie
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I am currently on the opposite side of a transaction like yours - I am the one offering to pay via paypal and asking for the item to be shipped! I am sort of local to the seller, but I really don't want to drive an hour into the city to get the item, esp. as it's for xmas and I'd have to bring at least 1 of my 2 boys.

Just wanted to give you the other side of things :) I'd say go ahead with it if they are paying via paypal.