PDA

View Full Version : Books for Nephew???

roysmom
11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Okay, just let me start by saying that my sister and I take totally different views on raising our children. So, anyway, my nephew is 5 and just started to school. He loves to read and she has been letting him try to read the Goosebump series. Am I totally off base here, or is that not sort of horror stories? I have vaguely heard of this, never read them myself, but isn't this for an older child? I am just floored that she would even be letting a 5 year old read this kind of stuff. Anyway, does anyone know if there are any of this series geared toward beginning readers?

SnuggleBuggles
11-26-2007, 07:24 PM
If he isn't scared and has a good handle on real and pretend then I personally don't see a problem with the books. But, I only know them by reputation and haven't read the content. Off the top of my head I would have thought they were for 8-12 year olds though.

Beth

Tondi G
11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
My son is 6.5 and isn't up to reading Goosebumps on his own but he has watched some episodes on tv during Halloween. While they can be scary some 5 year old are mature enough to handle Goosebumps! Our neighbors son next door LOVES Goosebumps and has since he was about 5, he is 7 now!

Another book series to look into is the Magic Treehouse series!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-7232069-1956942?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Magic+treehouse&x=0&y=0

Both of these series are more chapter books as opposed to beginning readers. If he needs something easier then the Step into Reading books are good.... they work up in levels... I think level 3 ends up being simple chapters with more content! There are a ton of different topics.... even some spongbob, scooby doo, star wars etc.

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

egoldber
11-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I think its geared for kids who are already reading, but I would think its target audience is 7-9 year olds. So 5 is a little young, but depending on the 5 year old its probably OK. If he didn't like them, he probably wouldn't read them. The best thing to do to encourage a child to read is to let them read what is interesting to them.

Other series he may like:

Magic Treehouse
Horrible Harry
Captain Underpants
Nate the Great
The Secrets of Droon
A to Z Mysteries
Jigsaw Jones
Cam Jansen
My Weird School
The Magic Schoolbus (they have series for all reading levels)

roysmom
11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Seeing as I have never read these, maybe they are not as scary as I am imagining. I will try to check them out.