PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Beds

Shelly
09-12-2001, 10:13 PM
I have a 22 month old daughter who is very small for her age. I know toddler beds seem like a waste of money but she is so short it is hard for her to get in & out of a twin bed. Does anyone have any thoughts on getting a toddler bed? Is it worth it or not. We have not moved her out of the crib yet but were thinking about doing it when we move next month. I am also very concerned about the changes with the move (which is why we didn't start potty training yet); Any thoughts on whether we should put the crib up for consistency or is it a good time to make the transition?
Thanks for your help!

alandenisefields
09-14-2001, 12:27 PM
Shelly,

Thanks for using our message boards.

Good question. When we dealt with this issue, we bought a twin mattress and placed it on the floor of our son's room. We left the crib up for a while, but we encouraged him to nap and play on the mattress, slowly working out way to using it at night as well. This way, it was easy to get in and out of, and the distance to the floor was minimal. Eventually, we removed the crib (in stages--he "helped" us unscrew the parts). Finally, when he was well used to the mattress and the rules about staying in his room when he went to bed, we took him shopping for his own "big boy" bed. It worked well for us.

Hope that helps,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

Denise
06-10-2003, 02:56 PM
I have a two year old son and a four month old daughter.

Currently, my son sleeps in his crib and my daughter sleeps at the bottom of her pack and play.

My daughter is ready for a crib and I don't want to force my son out of his.

I am aware of the Graco Aspen Crib manufactured by Simplicity. It is a crib that converts into a toddler bed.

Is anybody aware of this brand or can you recommend another brand so that my daughter can get into a crib and then when my son is ready, he can move to a toddler bed and hopefully switch dd's crib without much of a problem,yeah sure right :-).

A response at your earliest convenience would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

mom2kandj
06-13-2003, 01:30 AM
My DD left her crib at 15 months to make room for DS. We stored her crib in the garage for a month while she slept on her twin mattress on the floor. DS came and he slept in the cradle. We bought bunkbeds that we have assembled as two separate beds. She then moved to the her bed(twin bed assembled so the railing goes all the way around except an 18" opening where the ladder would be.) At the opening, we placed a sturdy stepstool. She has been fine from the beginning and only once in a blue moon do we hear her hit the side railing. DS is now 14 months old and we anticipate switching beds in the new couple of months as DD is potty training. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (30 months)
and Jack (14 months)

havelkd
07-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Check out Childesigns at www.childesigns.com. They have a section on their website called "Garage Sale". You can get to it by clicking on "Where to Buy", then selecting "Childesigns Garage Sale".

I was just able to purchase a toddler bed for only $35 and that includes shipping! I agree that a toddler bed is a waste of money if you are going to spend $150-$250, but....not when you can get one for only $35 shipped right to your door!

The website states that the items in that area are "not perfect-looking". Before ordering, I e-mailed their customer service department and asked for a definition of "not perfect-looking". Here was their response: "The carton may show signs of wear and tear (this product is a return from a retailer so it's shipped from our facility, to a retailer "distribution center", to the retailer's store, then back to the distribution center, then back to our facility), then it is opened by us and inspected for safety, then put back in the carton and shipped out to the purchaser (you, hopefully!). So, the majority of the imperfection is the carton -- the items itself is probably in very good to excellent shape, as well as fully inspected for safety."

We went ahead and ordered the bed and haven't found any scratches, nicks, etc. on it. While we haven't made the transition to the toddler bed with our 18 month old, we're ready when it's time.

We didn't want to go to a twin bed yet because it wouldn't fit in her nursery. Once we have our next one on the way, we'll convert our guest room into a bedroom for our daughter and then we'll go to the twin.

Good luck!