PDA

View Full Version : Bunk Beds

MariaMP
01-07-2002, 11:34 PM
I am looking for advice on what company may have solid wood bunk beds, in a cherry finish. We are looking for something to grow with our son that looks more adult like when you separate the bunks. Styling more along the shaker look.

webma
01-30-2002, 10:45 AM
Try forevermine.com. They sell a birch bunk bed set that comes in a cherry finish and the beds can be used as a set or a twins.

Sharonbc
05-15-2002, 03:30 PM
Hi,
Try Stanley Furniture or LEA Furnitur e. Stanley has been around for almost a century and has a variety of styles, including shaker style bunk beds. Plus they have a wide variety of other furniture pieces to match.:)

stephanie
06-05-2002, 08:21 PM
try vermontmadefurniture.com. we have bunk beds from there and love them.

JakesMom
06-24-2002, 02:21 AM
I work for Crate & Barrel Furniture, and they sell hardwood, fine quality bunk sets from excellent, Vermont-based manufacturers. (They've also recently partnered with Land of Nod, which has a few other styles.) I think Pottery Barn Kids also carries nice sets, but I'm not sure if they show them in their stores yet. I believe they are opening actual Pottery Barn Kids stores soon. If you find a set that you like but don't love the finish, the retailer may allow you to place a custom order through them. Otherwise, you can contact the manufacturer to see if other finishes are offered elsewhere.

My advice is, wherever you go, find out the manufacturer and check out their policies on things like replacement hardware. Make sure that the ladder/climb system is really sturdy, and that the finish can be touched up or repaired without too much trouble. Check spindles & guardrails for strength and durability. Finally, check out your own home environment and the set's ability to adapt... for example, if you live in an area with high humidity, the set needs to accommodate the expansion and contraction of the wood without splitting.

Nice features to look for are underbed drawers & trundles. Also, make sure you find out whether the top bunk will hold a regular mattress, or if you should use a bunk mattress (one that is less lofty and lighter weight). Finally, I highly recommend having the set assembled professionally (usually by the store's recommended delivery/assembly vendor), even if it costs more.

Good luck!