PDA

View Full Version : Ikea kids beds?

anadandy
03-11-2002, 12:32 PM
A friend of mine in Canada got her son (a few months older than mine) a Vikare bed from Ikea. It is an extendable bed with folding head and footboards so that it goes from a toddler bed (with side rails) to a twin sized bed. I sent away for a catalog and saw that bed as well as an Ateles bed that also converts from junior to twin. They look well made and are inexpensive compared to the twin beds we've priced at furniture stores.

Of course, there is no Ikea near me so I can't try them out. Has anyone had any experience with Ikea convertible beds, or kids beds in general?

Thanks
Anne

Cara
07-02-2002, 03:10 PM
I think the IKEA Ateles bed is great.

brubeck
08-11-2002, 06:26 PM
I don't have an IKEA bed myself, but I have heard others say that the sizes are not exactly the same as with other beds. Therefore you have to buy the mattress and bedding at IKEA too. This might be a consideration. Does your friend's bed fit a normal twin matterss/bedding?

I don't know where you are in Canada, but there is an IKEA in Toronto. I used to live a few blocks from it and people would travel from as far as Kingston, Barrie and London to go there.

suzska
08-13-2002, 06:14 PM
It use to be that IKEA beds came in "European" sizes (or something like that), but a few years ago they started making them in the sizes we're "use" to. So, yes, you use to have to buy their mattress and bedding, but not anymore. We had a queen bedframe (my brother now has it) and we were able to buy a standard "American" queen mattress and bedding to go on it. At least that's the way it is in "the States."

HTH.