PDA

View Full Version : Age range for Bob the Builder, Thomas Tank Engine, Disney Princess, and Hello Kitty bedding? Need advice.

MarinaTwinMom
07-23-2002, 11:29 AM
What do you think the age ranges are for Bob the Builder, Thomas the Tank Engine, Disney Princess, and Hello Kitty toys/bedding/etc.? How old would a child be when he/she would outgrow each of these and no longer think they're cool?

My 2-year-old DS *loves* Bob the Builder. He has a toddler sheet/comforter set that's in the Bob the Builder theme, and we bought (on sale) a twin bed sheet/comforter set for him to use later. Now, though, I'm wondering about the twin bed set. He probably won't use that set until he's 4 or 5, and we'd like for him to use it for a few years. Do you think that Bob the Builder is popular among grade-school-age kids, or would Thomas the Tank Engine be more appropriate? (I'm trying to picture him as a second- or third-grader with Bob the Builder bedding. I wonder if he'd like it when he's that age. I'm pretty sure kids that age still play with Thomas stuff, so maybe that theme would be better.)

Also, does anyone know if either Disney Princess bedding or Hello Kitty bedding is popular for grade-school-aged girls? I'm thinking that my DD (DS's twin) would probably like Disney Princess bedding longer, but (thinking back to my grade school days) I remember having a friend who liked Hello Kitty stuff in the fifth grade. So maybe a third-grader would still like it? The Disney Princess bedding seems a little more elegant/grown-up, though.

Yeah, I know ... I have waaay too much time on my hands if I'm worrying about this, right? LOL! Maybe I should just return the twin bedding set and wait a couple of years, then see what my kids like.

Any advice would be appreciated, though! :)

vsmommy123
08-11-2002, 03:57 PM
I can't speak from my own experience but since nobody answered I thought I'd give it a try! Personally, I think Hello Kitty would stand the test of time as I'm still ga ga over it and I'm 35. Yikes! I have a relative who has a now 7 YO DD and she's way into the Power Puff Girls and Hello Kitty. She seems really into everything that's poplular, even at that young age. I don't know any boys to give you any help on that, sorry.
Hope this helps a bit though!

ct
08-12-2002, 01:28 PM
My DD is still too young for those types of characters, but I would probably return the set and wait a couple years. Some of these character crazes are quite short-lived (last a couple years and then you never hear about them again - does anyone even remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?). Obviously Barbie, Hello Kitty are another story but even Hello Kitty kind of 'slept' for a few years until fairly recently. I'd just hate to purchase something myself and then have my kid complain a few years later when I pulled it out to use it that his bedroom set is not 'cool' and all the other kids his age have a _______ (fill in the blank) bedroom set, you know? Who knows what the next big thing will be even a year from now :)! Best of luck to you...

ct

starrynight
09-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Well here's a thought, if you got the twin bed set really cheap you could keep it and then buy or make a slipcover for it when he outgrows the "theme" but if you only got it on a sale I would return it because after you go through getting a cover for it, it wasn't really that cheap after all. I hope that makes sense and good luck finding what you need.

Sarah Bell
09-10-2002, 07:33 PM
I bought my son a Bob the Builder pillow case from Target because he is a huge 'Bob' fan. The fabric it is made of is awful -- very stiff & scratchy after numerous washings. I would hate to buy the sheet set if it was at all the same fabric.
I am decorating DS's room in a construction motif, but it's generic since I think he'll grow out of Bob The Builder before I'm ready to shell out a bunch of $ on new decor.
He's 27 months and has loved Bob since he turned 2.

Sarah....

Rion
09-11-2002, 08:37 PM
on this site, http://mariesmanor.hotusa.org/index.html
HTH

vsmommy123
09-11-2002, 09:14 PM
I also learned that this type of sheet is of poor quality, I recently bought some Hello Kitty bedding from Mervyns - 45% cotton/55% poly? Yuck! I used the flat sheets(had to buy 2 sheet sets) to make curtain panels and am using the pillowcases as the decor, as a sham. I think I will just get a decent thread count and all cotton sheets when it comes time for my DD to move to her big girl bed. You can get cute plain or gingham sheets in the colors to match the "Bob" set and it will look great!