PDA

View Full Version : Need a source for toddler pillows and pillowcases

vsmommy123
08-11-2002, 03:38 PM
This item seems to be a mystery and the two sources that I have found to carry a "toddler pillow" don't really want to divulge it's size!(Company Store and One Step Ahead) I think it is around 12"x16". I just want to find as many different options as I can before buying. Also it would be nice to find good quality pillowcases/sheets too.
It seems that a regular size pillow (20"x26") is way too big for a toddler after worrying profusely about SIDS such a short while ago.
Thanks!

brubeck
08-11-2002, 06:20 PM
I introduced my daughter to pillows at age 17 months and she took to them immediately. All of a sudden napping on the hard floor was no good anymore and if she had no pillow she would bunch a blanket or wipe cloth under her head. I started with couch-type pillows in the play area. You can get these in flat or puffy sizes: I had one of each. The nice thing is that they are pretty firm, so the SIDS risk is pretty minimal. At 17/18 months, I think kids know that sleeping with their face in the pillow impedes breathing, and they are cretainly old enough to turn their heads.

Shortly after this I noticed my daughter bunching her blanket under her head in the crib at night and wanted to give her a pillow, but as you said the adult size seemed too big. I ended up buying her a travel pillow (the kind they give you in airplane red eye flights) and a nice pillowcase to go with it. It is smaller and flatter than a regular pillow and the total cost (including pillowcase) was $7. About 2 months after that we moved her to a real bed, and at that time I gave her an adult sized twin pillow. It was an old one I had been using for years, and once I put it through the laundry machine I can tell you it was as flat as a pancake. She has another twin pillow in her playroom now that is a little fluffier and she naps on it. But I have only gotten comfy with this notion by observing her sleeping on flatter pillows for months.

ct
08-12-2002, 01:20 PM
My daughter doesn't sleep with a pillow yet, but we also bought a travel pillow and case for her to use in her little playhouse and I plan on buying more when we move her to a bed (in the next month or so). We got the travel pillow at Linens N Things or Bed Bath & Beyond (can't remember which) but I'd bet they sell them at most retailers. I don't think there was much in the way of choices for cases for them though, so that you may have to look around for if you want a particular color or make yourself if you can't find what you want. I think the little travel pillows are just right for a toddler and my DD loves hers. HTH

ct

Luvrose
08-16-2002, 03:20 PM
We have the toddle pillow from One Step Ahead, and it is around 12"x16". We found it to be problematic because 1) our 2 1/2 year old daughter moves around a lot at night and would be off the pillow within an hour, and 2) it was too "puffy". I totally agree that flatness is the key. She uses a full-size pillow that's really flat and loves it. They are hard to find, though -- we have been looking for a replacement since this is an old one and all the pillows in the store are fluffy.

vsmommy123
08-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Thanks to your suggestions for a travel pillow I found a source that has really inexpensive down filled travel pillows. It is www.royalpillow.com. I called to find out about poly-fill instead of down in case of allergies to the down but I didn't get much of an answer but they also make a "baby pillow" which is satin covered and about 11x13 for $1.65!(it's not on the website, call them at 866-745-5691) The travel pillows (12x16) start at $5.25 (!) and up. They also sell pillow protectors and pillow cases for this size. I think the least expensive pillow would be flatten-able enough for sleeping since as Luvrose said some are too puffy.