PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please for room for 15 month old boys!

canaanelijah
10-13-2002, 04:12 AM
Hi All,
My name is Alida and I have twin boys who for the time being, sleep with us in our room. However, I'd like to make their room look more inviting and more like a babies room. They don't ever really go in there now, and I'd like to change that! I just can't think of what I want to do. The room is small. I have already purchased (from many months ago) The dark blue Noah's Ark border. Are they to big for that already?
I'm getting the little storage shelf with different colored toy containers in it. I had also seen a table that had a chalk board in the center, but I don't know if I should do that or just but a children's easel. What are the best tables for babies? I also REALLY need some sort of bookshelf in their room, but one that would make books seem accessible to 15 month old and really keep them interested in books. I have considered putting little shelf's into the walls somewhat low to the ground, but heard that this is bad because if they sit on it the whole shelf can fall and parts of the walls with it.
Another thing is, every time I go to church nurseries, I see little kitchens, a plastic garden, or tool shelf for babies to play with and my children love them. Which should I go with? I'd like to make my twins room something that would draw there attention. Any tips would be appreciated. They don't really have favorite toys at all but LOVE climbing on stuff, any toys for rooms that can withstand TWO boys? Please email me at [email protected] Thanks. Alida

JakesMom
05-09-2003, 10:49 PM
What a fun topic! Have you tried looking at catalogues and web sites to get some ideas? You can go with tried and true (stars and moons, Noah's Ark, ABCs, cartoon characters) or do something more unusual or personal that means something to your family. Since I didn't know what I was having for my first pregancy, I picked a theme I liked (stars and moons). After my first child turned out to be a boy and we moved into our house, I let my imagination run wild. We painted his walls a bright sky blue. Then I cut out clouds from white Contact paper (comes off the wall with no damage) and stuck those all over, along with star decals from Target. I hung stuffed stars from the ceiling. Once I'd gotten used to the room and a little more confident, I mixed a few shades of blue paint together and hand painted the ceiling to look like the sky. When that was fully dry, I applied stick-on glow-in-the-dark stars all over. The room is bright, cheerful and pretty. Even my husband, who was REALLY skeptical about the ceiling thing, says it's his favorite room in the house!

One big suggestion I have is that you wait to put toys in your sons' room. I read several years ago that babies first need to learn that their rooms are for sleeping, not playing -- so they get used to going to sleep whenever they're put down. That made sense to me, so until my son was in his toddler bed (at age 2) he only used his room to sleep and change. Now that he's three, we keep his Little People city, bead maze, rocker and assorted toys in his room and he can bring down what he wants if he wants to play with it in the living room. It's worked out really well for us.

If you'd like to get some ideas of themes, look at babiesrus.com, landofnod.com, potterybarnkids.com, spiegel.com, and companystore.com.

Best of luck!
Jodi

Alida
05-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Jodi,
Thanks so much for all the great ideas! I love the whole stars and moon thing. I can paint the room, but because I live in an apartment, I don't know if I can paint the ceiling. Thanks for all the sites! I'll check em out! Thanks again! Alida

shanesmom
06-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Alida,
We also live in an apartment and had a similar issue. We solved it by buying removeable adhesive stickers that we found at Target in their Kids Room section. We bought the collection of stars and moons, and supplemented it with the flowers and bugs series which we placed at eye level. He loved it and it's his favorite room in the house. The stickers can be easily removed and do not permanently damage the walls in any way. We also bought a border in a celestial theme that is similarly a peel off (non-permanent) type. Hope this helps.
Dori (mom to 14 mth old Shane)

Alida
06-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Great idea, I dont think have ever seen those! I'll check it out! Thanks